LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 04-19-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
suwanneetrader
User

Default 1918-1920 DWM S.B. 5528

Will describe later. Trying to upload photos Well I got one photo to go, email me for holster markings and other photos. This 9mm Luger has 90% original finish and the checkering is so sharp it feels like it is going to cut your palm. It has a wings and head down eagle above 3114 which is above 8.83. All numbers match and 1920 is above 1918. In addition to matching serial number on all parts it also has S.B.W.I.R. 378 5528 on the inside frame with WIR378 being X'ed out. The takedown tool has 5528. The back of the holster has S.B.5528. in the back upper right cornor. Also on the upper back of the holster is FRANZ COBAU above 1933 above what resembles a mum with an L in the center. As you can see alot of the shinny black is off the holster showing the natural leather. Should I do anything to it or leave as is? What do the markings mean? I'm 68 and have had 5 or 6 Lugers from Vets and estates over the years, but due to large family had to sell them. This is the first time I've been in a position to keep one, as it took me 3 years to talk the old guy into selling it to me I'd like to know all about it. Thanking you all in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rlm1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	882  

suwanneetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 12:19 AM   #2
Schupo
User

Suwannetrader,

Your pistol is a Berlin Police pistol. The markings on the gripstrap indicate that it was issued to the Schutzpolizei of Berlin, West...which is Charlottenberg. I am a retired policeman and I have been in that particular Charlottenberg police station in Berlin (not far from the Ku-damm). Your luger is stamped according to the 1922 Prussian Police regulations and the markings indicate the luger belonged to a reserve unit of the Ist Hundertschaft and the marking was subsequently changed when the reserve was eliminated (according to the Xed out characters). Your matching holster is also marked to the Berlin Polizei. A very nice rig.
Unread 04-20-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

You can upload one picture at a time and save the link or you can post one more posting with a photo, then another, etc.

Nice police pistol, it is what I collect.

Was made in 1918 by DWM, then in 1920 it was property amrked (not a date stamping) by the reichswehr to show it was gov't property. Then at some point it was turned over to the police and if it has a sear safety it was added in 1932.

The 8,83 is the land to land measurement of the bore btw.

NICE rig, being marked on the holster, weapon and tool is very nice, i have a couple like that, but it is not common to find.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
suwanneetrader
User

I really appreciate the info. Was it a policemans during the 1920's, or does the Franz Cobau 1933 on the holster (I can send you other photos ) show the Police Dept got it in 1933? Thanks again Richard suwanneetrader@hotmail.com
Unread 04-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

That is hard to say. You are welcome to send as many and as large of photos as you want to weimar_lugers@comcast.net

My "feeling" is that the holster was mated up in that time frame, and as you said, at the same time frame, the pistol probably came out of storage as it was turned over to the police, was mated up and both marked.

Ed
Unread 04-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
suwanneetrader
User

Default Other Side of 1918-20 SB5528

Here is the other side of the DWM 1918 shown in other post. Thanks for looking and telling me about it. From this view can you tell if a sear safety was added? Those are not pits but lint in the oil that I wiped it off. Also light places are for the most part from the camera flash.

ADMIN: Use Add reply and not new topic, that keeps the postings of the same item all together
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rlm4.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	884  

The following member says Thank You to suwanneetrader for your post:
Unread 04-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Yes, it has a sear safety, you can just see the top of it in the photo.

See the photo where I made the arrows. It is the dog-leg piece of metal from right to left, to the top of the sideplate. It almost appears to have had a mag safety too...

Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sear_1918.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	885  

The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 04-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Richard,

You have a very interesting rig with a lot of history. If you go to http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...hreadid=11898, you will find instructions for downloading my article on these Berlin Schupo pistols that should help you understand this history.

I would be very interested in seeing a good, focused photo of the marking on the front grip strap.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
suwanneetrader
User

I will try to download your info.later as I'm working today trying to kill chinchbugs in my yard, but as I'm so thankful for so many considerate answers I'll upload those markings now. Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rlm9.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	886  

Unread 04-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Richard,

When you read the article, you will see why I think your gun was marked in at least three stages: W.I.R.378.; S.B.W.I.R.378. and S.B.5528.

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #11
suwanneetrader
User

Well Happy Holidays It has been a long long time since I was on this Forum."because" I have not ran across a Luger since my posts of the Police I've kept. I found Don and others to have been very nice and I hope they have not gone on to that big Collectors Final Gathering, as most of my friends have. I will be 84 in Feb. I'm so glad this Forum is set up so I could find my old posts and add these comments. I still collect older USMC items and research any named US Medal of any branch of service before I sell the non USMC ones. I have about 2,700 posts on the US Militaria Forum and I'm starting to find current values foe items in my collection (have not been to a Gun Show for about 10 years,just sell on the US Forum or Flea Mkt dealers). I was President of the original Florida Gun Collectors in late 70's but have no one alive to ask to help me. The children want none of it but my youngest son says he will keep my Dad's USMC WWII items. I want my youngest "15" Grandson to have my guns and CW items as he is an "A" student but Father not one to save so he will need to sell what I leave him to go to college. Therefore I wonder what is current value on this Berlin Police Luger with holster etc? I'm trying to tag the more valuable items for him so his Dad doesn't give them away and if my daughter knows some prices she won't let him. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I wish you and yours good health. Richard Marquette .

Here is a PM I sent Don before I knew he listed this Luger's serial number in his book.

Recipients: Don M
05-04-2006, 01:09 PM
suwanneetrader
User

Default SB 5528 DWM 1918/1920
DON: You were correct the Berlin Police Dept, nor the Historical Society even acknowledged my e-mail. I disassembled all but the firing pin and everything I can see has 14 on it even the inside of the grips. As I try to inventory my collectables so when I pass on the kids will have some idea of the values, even if they are a few years out of date. Therefore will you tell me your opinion of the value of the ser. #3114 DWM Luger with Berlin Police numbers on it as well as the holster and the tool? Also when I apply the Connoleys to the holster ( you can see in my forum photos approx 40% of the black is gone from the front of it) should I mix some good black wax polish in with the hide food and then hand rub it on or just hide food only and don't worry about the color of the brown areas? Thanks again Richard Marquette --- the other old retired guy Ha Ha.
Unread 12-31-2021, 04:50 AM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

Since it's your holster, you can do whatever you want to it. I think, however, that most would advise leather treatment to keep it supple, but no color. Its condition is part of its history, and it's only original once.
Unread 12-31-2021, 12:46 PM   #13
suwanneetrader
User

As I said I'm trying to find if value has changed in the last 15+ years so as to update my list for children - Grandchild when I die (Be 84 in Feb). Thanks in advance Richard

Looks like other pics did not load I'll try again Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Luger right Berlin Police marked WWII Worth $2500. up.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	84545  

Name:	Luger grip Police No SB5528 WIR378 cl up.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	84546  

Name:	Luger SER 3114 left w tool  Berlin Police marked WWII Worth Don't Know  Guess $3M..jpg
Views:	68
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	84547  

Name:	Luger w holster etc rght.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	84548  

Name:	Luger holster no w tool fair.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	84549  

Name:	P5220001.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	84550  

Last edited by suwanneetrader; 12-31-2021 at 12:56 PM. Reason: pics did not show
The following 2 members says Thank You to suwanneetrader for your post:
Unread 12-31-2021, 04:06 PM   #14
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Nice pictures !

Values are all over the place, but I would insure the kit (pistol, holster and tool) for at least $2,500. The holster and tool are important and they appear to be proper for the gun. I'm also assuming the magazine is not matching.

I went to a trusted gun smith to get my firearms appraised, recently, so that I could insure them. His values were conservative, but based on good research and some recent resales. He did not consider provenance or accessories.

Auctions are never good comparisons and they all have a lot of high handling fees on top of the sale price.

You can easily search for "dual date police luger" and find them from $2,000 - $3,000.

I like Simpson LTD which has 4 kits much like yours.

The more provenance (history) you have, the more desirable it is.

Disclaimer:

It's really hard to say much else without having the gun to examine further. I am not a gun dealer and I haven't bought that many Luger - most on-line seem over priced, to me.

I'm making a lot of assumptions about your Luger - that it's in working order, that the internal parts are correct, that the barrel is clean and still has visible rifling, etc. But, in general, the gun alone in good condition would easily sell for $1,500. Most people add 20% for a matching holster and tool.

I would suggest that Luger prices have almost doubled in 15 years.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 12-31-2021, 08:31 PM   #15
suwanneetrader
User

Thanks for replying. I'm wondering if Edward Tinker or Don Maus (not sure I remember Don's last Name) are still collecting Police Lugers? Both were very helpful in 2006. Richard
Unread 01-02-2022, 01:29 PM   #16
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Richard, Don died a few years ago

I will try to look at this thread later