LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-19-2002, 09:03 PM   #1
KEN
User

Default ** Storage Question **

I would like to ask the Forum a question, that may have been asked in the past. I currently store my pistols in a single plastic case, with foam liners, the typical cheap ones. I have used rem oil to coat them, and wipe them down, in the past, but now use Prestone Silicone Lubricant spray to coat them. I guess what I want to ask is this a good measure, or is there something else better out there. I do not want them to tarnish, rust, or the like. Any thoughts, what do all of you use? Thanks...Ken

Unread 03-19-2002, 09:07 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: ** Storage Question **

Many will cringe, but I had mine in this situation for years, I had oiled them well, and it was dry where they were stored in eastern washington, but I had them like this for years.

This was discussed recently and if you do a search on the forum for storing Lugers, you should find a thread or two on this very subject. This was within the last two weeks.

Ed

Unread 03-19-2002, 09:08 PM   #3
The Shadow

Default : ** Storage Question **

Check this out...

http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-rust.html

Unread 03-19-2002, 10:00 PM   #4
MarkC
User

Default Re: : ** Storage Question **

Great info!! But nothing beats a fireproof safe in a dry location in your home with a golden rod or similar dehumidifier stick. The price of a high quality safe is the same as an artillary luger rig! I always believe that access to firearms to unauthorized individuals is verboten! (This includes your drunken brother-in-law!!!)

Unread 03-22-2002, 07:16 AM   #5
Marvin
User

Default Re: ** Storage Question **

Ken,

Do a search and look at the previous postings on the subject, it will help a lot!

To me, one of the worst offenders is humidity in your area! If you live near the coast, watch them close, if you live in a desert area, they just don't rust quick. My area is not too bad with humidity except about an 8 week period in the summer and then the humidity is high, but if you use a quality rust preventative oil and check them often you will be OK.

One thing I don't like about the foam cases is that IF any moisture gets on the foam, and you close the case, the metal will rust from the contact with moisture. This is not to likely to happen, but it can! A soda can with condensation may accidetlu drip and you may not see it and it can do damage.

My recommendation is use a quality oil! Most good preventatives will do a good job. Some are a little better than others, but any oil will help. For long term storage in the cases you describe, I would put a light coat of RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) on the metal surfaces, and wrap the pistol in VIP paper. This does will give you great protection. To go one step further, instead of putting them in the foam cases, use the soft type case called "Bore-Stor". With the RIG, VIP paper, and the Bore Stor, they should never rust.

Marvin