LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 05-20-2005, 01:56 AM   #21
Steve71
User

John,

Any chance your Dad was in the Navy? My father-in- law is 82 and was a gunner on the Yorktown in the Pacific. He never has purchased a Honda car These guys are sincerely, America's greatest generation! I guess that's one reason why I love these war era guns. In a special way, the guns are helping to presere the history while these guys are gradually passing on. It won't be long and they'll all be gone.

Steve
Unread 05-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #22
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Steve, my Dad served with E-Co., 2nd Bn, 39th Inf Reg, 9th Infantry Division .

His first combat experience was to have the USS Thomas Stone torpedoed out from under him while approaching the first landing in North Africa in 1942. He served in every major campaign (8) that the 9th participated in during WW2:

Algeria-French Morocco
Tunisia
Sicily
Normandy
Northern France
Ardennes-Alsace
Rhineland
Central Europe

He has always claimed to have been the 2nd soldier of the 9th Division to have seen Cherbourg France just before the siege. He saw it when he raised his head up out of a foxhole behind a hedgerow, and found himself peering through a very large projectile hole through the head of the man kneeling in front of him... the man had remained motionless after being struck. It is a vision that still haunts him.

He was awarded the Bronze Star for Valor, and two Purple Hearts... The first for a shell or grenade fragment in his ankle, The second wound was received just weeks before the end of the war in Europe. A MG bullet through his upper left thigh while running through a field outside of Winterberg Germany. It took him out of the action for the rest of the war.

This September 23-24-25th, the 9th Infantry Division Association will celebrate it's 60th Annual Reunion in Washington, DC. and hold it's memorial service at the WW2 memorial. I am proud to be part of the reunion committee, and one of the co-founders of the Sons & Daughter's Auxiliary of the 9th Infantry Division Association...

He truely is one of the Greatest Generation, and has always been my personal hero... The toughest guy I have ever known, now walks with a cane, favoring the leg where he was wounded...

As we approach Memorial Day, my hat is off to all of his generation whose sacrifices gave us the freedoms we enjoy today... your Dad included of course

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #23
Rod WMG
User

Our debt of gratitude to all these vets is enormous!
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #24
Steve71
User

John,

You said it all! God bless your father and all the men who served with him. I fly the flag on every memorial day for all of those that never returned. In fact, I'm giving serious consideration to putting up a permanent flag pole so I can fly it everyday! I just need to wire it so I can light it up at night. My plan is to have the biggest flag in the neighbor hood.

Your Dad and all the war vets are sincerely my heros.

Sincerely,

Steve
Unread 05-24-2005, 01:41 AM   #25
Steve71
User

Everyone,

I can't tell you how excited I am. I just became a Luger owner. It's offically mine and what is so exciting to me is that the piece is in better condition than I thought. The pics don't really represent how good of shape it's in. I tried taking some pictures but I really need to get a macro attachment that can handle the close up pictures. The pictures posted look like it is lacking in bluing. It is not except for a couple of small places. I'm not a collector so I really don't know how to judge this, but it looks maybe 75- 80%. I really can't judge this like a pro. By the first photos, I was thinking it would maybe need a restoration. No way. It is in too good of shape. I sincerely will try to get some pics when I get a macro attachment that will handle the photos that I know you need.

The right grip will need to be retored. It has been smoothed out and is much "blacker" than the left. I still need to remove the grips and inspect them further. For now, it's tucked away and I'm still on my "Luger High from all of this.

Some of you said the holster was pretty good. It looks good to me. All the stiching is in place. The color is good and I will submit photos on that too as soon as I can. The strap is torn in half in the hole where it locks. It has the cleaning rod and the other tool (?) in the holster. Other than the strap it looks to be in great condition.

Here's the markings on the holster. On the strap is "Maury & Co. Offenbacham. On the front of the holster is "Hermflohr coln 1915.

Can you guys provide me more input on this information? I know photos will help and I'll do that ASAP. I know as soon as I get this one figured out, I'll want another one

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve
Unread 05-24-2005, 08:00 AM   #26
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Steve, when you mention the Maury &Co marking you write that it is on the strap, what strap are you referring to? Is there a shoulder strap included?
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 12:59 PM   #27
Steve71
User

George,

It is the strap that goes over the top from the back. The writing is right on top of the holster if it were closed up. It is the strap with the "brass bead" ( I don't know what you call that) on it which fastens into the other piece on the front. The piece on the front is the one which is torn at the hole which fastens over the bead. Sorry, this is hard to describe this. I'm looking into getting a macro attachment for my camera today.........another Luger expense

Steve
Unread 05-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #28
Steve71
User

George,

Sorry, I forgot to mention there is no shoulder strap.

Steve
Unread 05-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #29
Ron Smith
User

Steve,

Glad to hear that it's better than the photo shows it. Jerry Burney can replace the torn strap. You won't be able to tell that it was ever replaced.
Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #30
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Steve, be extremely careful removing the left grip, as it has a tendency to chip under the safety because of close tolerances on fitting... and the fact that in many cases, they have been attached to the gun for decades without being removed.

Once you remove the screw that holds it, try rapping on the backstrap near the stock lug with a plastic or rubber mallet, or a small block of wood to see if the grip will pop free on it's own. should that fail press carefully with your finger inside the mag well near the bottom to break the "seal" of years of compression against the metal.

The grips should be removed from bottom to top. They don't just lay flat on the gun. The right grip should be the easiest to remove.

Treat them with care... they are as old as the gun!

Good Luck.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #31
Steve71
User

Ron and John,

Thank you both for your advise. I will be sure to follow your precise directions on removing the grips. John, your directions are real good on how to remove them. I'll let you know how it goes. I won't be able to do anything until this weekend. Since I got the gun, my work schedule has been crazy. Of course some of that time at work has been talking about this gun and this forum.

Ron, I'll be sure to look up Jerry Burney on the holster repair.

You guys are awesome with all your help.

Sincerely,

Steve
Unread 05-26-2005, 08:03 AM   #32
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Steve, it sounds as if your holster has some nonstandard modification, when you are able, please post a photo showing the part marked with Maury&Co.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 01:01 AM   #33
Steve71
User

George,

Here are some more photos on the holster. Thanks for your help.

Steve
Unread 05-29-2005, 01:08 AM   #34
Steve71
User

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...__co_copy1.jpg

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...1915_copy1.jpg

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...er_4_copy2.jpg
Unread 05-29-2005, 01:54 AM   #35
Steve71
User

Here are three more photos which are better than the original ones posted. The gun actually has more bluing on it than I thought based on the original photos. When I first saw the gun "in hand", I was awfully excited.
My wife is now calling me "luger boy" I guess she could tell I was pretty excited.

Steve

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/rt_side.jpg
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...side_copy1.jpg
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload..._holster_1.jpg
Unread 05-29-2005, 10:41 PM   #36
Steve71
User

Thanks to John's detailed instructions on how to remove the grips, I decided to give it a try. fortunantly, they came off easy. I found no markings on the inside of the grips. Should there be?

I also saw some markings on the frame on the left side under the grips. Do you guys know what they mean?

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...side_frame.jpg

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/grips_1.jpg

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/backside_grips.jpg

Thank you,

Steve