LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 05-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #21
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Norm, that's the Battle of Tannenberg. The German general you are thinking of was Francois and the Russian, Samsanov.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #22
Big Norm
RIP

Thanks George. The generals names sounds right now that you mentioned it. I would really hated to go through my tapes to find those names. As I said, I listen to these tapes while sitting in the field while deer hunting. Otherwise, I could never have the time to listen to them. These tapes are quite long. For instance:

(1) 'The Guns of August' by Barbara Tuchman has 12 tapes of 90 minutes each. Excellent book. I did find a very old paper copy of it in my cities library.

(2) 'A Short History of WW1' by James L. Strokesbury has 11 tapes of 90 minutes each. Short history? What would be a long history?

(3) 'World War 1' by S.L.A. Marshal has 13 tapes of 90 minutes.

(4) '11th Month, 11th Day, 11th Hour' by Joseph Persico which has only four tapes at 90 minutes each. This is a real tear jerker. It ranks right up there for tears with 'Its Always Something' by the great comedian,Gilda Radner, which chronicles her life and death after she discovers that she has terminal cancer, in her own words AND VOICE. Its an interesting book until you realize that its in her own voice. Then you just sit there stunned in a way that you that you could never get from reading a paper book.

All of these book are very interesting and are different in their own way. Ed Tinker once asked where I got some information that I posted on this forum. I told him about one of my books and asked if he wanted me to make copies for him. He wisely said 'No'. You need a lot of time on our hands to be able to listen to them. Ed is a pretty busy guy and I don't think that he has that much time to spend listening to these tapes.

My next project is to move all my books from tape to CD's. Tapes can stretch, dry out and break. The big problem is that these tapes are 90 minutes but CD's only record about 80-85 minutes. Another problem is that it is getting harder and harder to find cassette tape players. They are now obsolete and some stores don't carry them. I am beginning to consider transferring these tapes to one of those Apple thingys that will hold a ton of music.

I also gave a number of tapes that discuss the relationship between FDR, Stahlin and Churchill during WW2.

Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
fred p
User

big norm,
You may be able to transfer these books to DVD. they hold much more than CD's and you could possibly get several tapes on one disk. They sound like good reads.
fred p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #24
Big Norm
RIP

Fred,
they definitely are good reads. I have about 100 or so tapes. However, do not listen to them while driving a motor home to a distant gun show. I was listening to a book while driving to the Chantilly gun show and I ended up missing a few signs. I ended up in never never land and low on gas.

I also learned not to listen to them while driving to that show on the turnpike. O-O-O WOW! I looked out the window while in Pa and saw that I was driving along side a big cliff and it was a L-O-O-ONG way down. I turned off the tape real fast, said my prayers and held the wheel in a deaths grip after that.

During that trip, I also learned that you wouldn't want to listen to them while on that big circular drive that goes around Washington DC. People there show no mercy to motor homes that want to change lanes. I also learned that, on that highway, the pavement get very slippery when its wet. I almost clobbered four cars when I had to hit the brakes.

As a side note, if you do go to the Chantily gun show or even to Washington DC, catch the NRA museum. But don't go in a motor home. The parking lot is very small and its hard to manipulate a motor home in there. I think that I got lucky and hit it at a time when there were few cars there. But I think that I counted 11+ Lugers in there. But I couldn't read the dates or markings and didn't see any artilleries or navies. Bummer!

Oh! I almost forgot. While deer hunting, don't pull out the tapes before 8:30AM and after 4PM unless your in a blind. Thats when the deer are moving where I hunt. I learned that the hard way twice last year.
Big Norm
Unread 05-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #25
fred p
User

so your the one eh?
fred p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #26
Big Norm
RIP

Fred,
not me, I said almost. Close, but no toy. I had three chamber dated 1914 DWM artilleries with me to show to George Anderson and I wouldn't want the police to get them.
Big Norm
Unread 05-20-2009, 04:02 AM   #27
Sieger
User

Default Tannenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
Norm, that's the Battle of Tannenberg. The German general you are thinking of was Francois and the Russian, Samsanov.
All:

Wasn't von Hindenburg credited for the Russian defeat at Tannenberg?

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #28
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Francois was just one of the players. Hindenburg was commander in the east.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #29
Big Norm
RIP

The Russians, in those days, had the bad habit of transmitting messages not coded. So that may have made it easier for the Germans to do what they wanted.
Big Norm
Unread 06-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #30
klaus 3338
User

This original 5. 5. 1914 dated post of the war department described how the LP08 had to be worn/ used: with the straps over the left shoulder and with the starp of the flab on the belt.
The members who knows me from StillĀ“s forum know about my "problems" with the English language and may help with the correct translation if they wont.
Klaus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lange 08 Trageweise.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	6882  

klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote