LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 08-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #21
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,280 Times in 423 Posts

Paging through "Weimar Lugers" and "Third Reich Lugers" is unavailing. Costanzo only notes that c/N can be found several different places on a Luger, including the right frame rail. He did -not- document it on the right receiver.

On a partly remembered hunch I pulled out my Simson rework of a DWM First Issue; it has a c/N upright on the right frame by the takedown lever, another position Costanzo does not document.

I'm not sure what this adds to the discussion or means, except that you have quite a mystery here.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2005, 08:09 AM   #22
Walt NW
User

Appreciate all the effort. Simpson has a DMW/Krieghoff rework on their site that is marked sold that is much like mine, citing the right side receiver horizonal crown N but also notating the E/2 stamp, which I don't seem to have. The Luger curse strikes again but guess this is what sets these beauties apart from all other hand guns and makes them so interesting to get involved with. Thanks again.
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #23
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Guys....

We are getting "really lost" here - by "munging together" (my word ) several HK variations.. Let me try to explain....

HK reworked many types - the majority were DWM Lugers in the "i" range. These "reworks" are very different then their "commercial" series.. OK - so let's put aside their "commercial series" for a moment and focus on their "reworks".

These will have a CROWN N, again - on either the left side of the receiver only (for a vertical CROWN N) or 2 CROWN Ns if they were horizontal (on on the left of the rail and one on the left of the receiver). Some "reworks" may also have the original toggle and NOT have *any* CROWN N, and may have an encircled HK and/or other stampings...

With me so far??

Now - what Simpsons sold is NOT what Walt has - and the two are very different..

What Simpson's has: Some reworks will also have an E/2 on the RIGHT side of the receiver - but that is NOT a CROWN N (which, on the HK on Simpson's site) the CROWN N again - appears on the LEFT side of the reciever and rail (and since it is horizontal, BOTH rail & reciever have the CROWN N..). In fact with both the CROWN N and the E/2, Simpsons does have a fairly rare rework variation...

What Walt has: I'm not sure yet??!

Anyway - I hope this helps!!

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2005, 10:55 AM   #24
Tomathvl
User

John,
"munging together" Pretty much makes sense to me; but then I've got Polish blood in me.
Tom
Tomathvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #25
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomathvl
John,
"munging together" Pretty much makes sense to me.....
Isn't the Internet a wonderful place?? I think I actually found a definition for "munging"...

Ready?? "The term munging probably derives from the acronym mung (pronounced just as it looks), which stands for "mash until no good."" Now - I've never met any mash I didn't like, so I'm not certain that definition is quite correct...

Heh!

John D.
Unread 08-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #26
Walt NW
User

John,
Think "munging" says it all. FYI. back in 2000, I blew ten bucks and sent a "firearms inquiry" to the folks at Blue Book concerning this gun. It went nowhere and they gave up on it. Strangely enough, however, I found one gentleman with an identical piece after kicking it around through dealers all over the country, and he turned out to be a new collector with his first Luger who had just signed on to the forum. If Rick K. is still around, he has a virtual twin to mine, except his is a 1916 double date and mine is 1917.
Several of the dealer inquiries resulted in E-mails accusing me of trying to play games with a fraudulent piece. It cameas a relief to meet Rick and find a matching gun. Thanks for all the effort on this.
Unread 08-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #27
Navy
RIP

Among Army aviators in Asia, mung was the mystical substance resulting from monkey miscarriages...normally used to describe a particularly foul concoction served up at a well lubricated hooch party.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #28
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt NW
John,
.....Thanks for all the effort on this.
Hi Walt.!

It's a pleasure. Can you do me a favor and take a micrometer and measure the Crown N? I want the exact overall "height and width" in millimeters, when you have a moment.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom A
Among Army aviators in Asia, mung was the mystical substance...
Umm... Tom???

This is FAR TOO much information!!!

John D.
Unread 08-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #29
Walt NW
User

John,
Alas, I must admit that in living in a home for over 30 years that I thought had acquired every conceivable usefull or useless object known to mankind, there is not a micrometer in the house. However, using my trusty millimeter ruler that has served me well for many years of stamp collecting, what I am getting is a width of 1 millimeter and a hight, from bottom of the N to the tip of the crown, of 4 millimeters. Much appreciation for all the time and effort you're putting into this.
Unread 08-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #30
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt NW
John,
Alas, I must admit that in living in a home for over 30 years that I thought had acquired every conceivable usefull or useless object known to mankind, .....
Hmmm - apparently - you haven't met my ex-wife....

Seriously though.....

I believe you have a DWM Crown N rather then a Krieghoff "Crown N" - which would explain as well, why it is mis-struck for Krieghoff (on your right side) and as I stated above. Unfortunately - I do not have the source nor the reasons as to the origins of your DWM Luger - which began life as a Military and then made it into the commercial world.

Hope this helps!

John D.
Unread 08-10-2005, 10:59 PM   #31
Walt NW
User

What-ever and why-for, just another example of the wonderful world of Lugers, John. Thanks much for all the time you put into this thing.

Walt
Unread 08-10-2005, 11:08 PM   #32
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Walt!

My sincerest Thanks right back to you... While I love Krieghoffs and have been in that world for more than a few years - I'm still learning about all the various Luger variations outside HK...

Yep - it's about this wonderful world of Lugers and collecting...

My thanks again!

John