LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 10-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #21
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantman View Post
Hi Sieger:

These work well with good (Mec-gar) mags. No jamming. This is especially true with the 9.0gr. loads. Snappy function, primers slightly less round after firing, compared to the 8.5 grainers. I have found in my PO8s that they are more sensitive to COL variations and magazine quality than to how hot the load is. I start to get more feed jams when the COL hits the 1.165" range, which is close to spec for WW whitebox. Feeding was much better with Magtech ammo which is nominally 1.155" in their 115 FMJ offering. So I started loading to 1.155" I like the AA#7 because a double charge would overflow the case, thus being easier to detect in a progressive loader.
Hi,

German Army round nose ball was loaded between 1.169 and 1.173 inches. For best function in a Luger, with Meg-Gar magazines, these lengths will feed very trustworthily.

Those powder charges seem way too high to me, but i would have to shoot your actual loadings to verify this. If you are experiencing breach-block slam at these charge weights, you will eventually damage your very fine Luger.

Respectfully,

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 11-04-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2020, 03:48 AM   #22
grantman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

German Army round nose ball was loaded between 1.169 and 1.173 inches. For best function in a Luger, with Meg-Gar magazines, these lengths will feed very trustworthily.

Those powder charges seem way too high to me, but i would have to shoot your actual loadings to verify this. If you are experiencing breach block slam at these charge weights, you will eventually damage your very fine Luger.

Respectfully,

Sieger
These loads are posted in Speer manuals #14 & 15. For AA#7, the range is 8.6 gr. to 9.6 gr. The 8.6 grainers, fired from a S&W 5906 claim a velocity of roughly 1158fps. I'm loading between 8.5 &9.0 gr. I have yet to chronograph these loads, but I'm guessing the 8.5 grainers will offer less than 1158 fps. Examination of fired cases reveals no excessive pressure signs with either 8.5 or 9.0 grains. The charge weights may seem heavy to those using unique, 231 or bullseye. AA7 is a bulky powder in comparison, but was formulated for 9mm and similar cartridges. In fact, Speer lists a max load for the 9mm Makarov at 8.0 grains. The Mak has a working pressure max of 24,100psi while the 9mm luger operates at a max of 35,000 psi, per Speer. This is interesting stuff, no?
grantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #23
Sieger
User

Quote:
These loads are posted in Speer manuals #14 & 15. For AA#7, the range is 8.6 gr. to 9.6 gr. The 8.6 grainers, fired from a S&W 5906 claim a velocity of roughly 1158fps. I'm loading between 8.5 &9.0 gr. I have yet to chronograph these loads, but I'm guessing the 8.5 grainers will offer less than 1158 fps. Examination of fired cases reveals no excessive pressure signs with either 8.5 or 9.0 grains. The charge weights may seem heavy to those using unique, 231 or bullseye. AA7 is a bulky powder in comparison, but was formulated for 9mm and similar cartridges. In fact, Speer lists a max load for the 9mm Makarov at 8.0 grains. The Mak has a working pressure max of 24,100psi while the 9mm luger operates at a max of 35,000 psi, per Speer. This is interesting stuff, no?
Hi,

I don't think pressure (within reason) is the real issue here to any great extent.

The inherent design of toggle system of the Luger is. This system requires a specific balance between ammo and springs for proper, accurate and reliable function (without damage to the pistol itself). Neither the Mac nor the S&W, you site above, are hampered by these restrictions.

When I can find the time, I will be writing a very detailed explanation of breech-block slam and how this will cause a Luger System to eventually fail mechanically.

Respectfully,

Sieger
Unread 11-03-2020, 03:12 AM   #24
grantman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

I don't think pressure (within reason) is the real issue here to any great extent.

The inherent design of toggle system of the Luger is. This system requires a specific balance between ammo and springs for proper, accurate and reliable function (without damage to the pistol itself). Neither the Mac nor the S&W, you site above, are hampered by these restrictions.

When I can find the time, I will be writing a very detailed explanation of breech-block slam and how this will cause a Luger System to eventually fail mechanically.

Respectfully,

Sieger
Interesting....what would be the determinant of breech block slam? I would think it would be determined by rate of combustion and pressure curve.
Unread 11-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #25
Kiwi
User

Grantman - there are posts on how to check for breech-block slam - basically using a small bit of masking tape at the back of the toggle/or breech-block at that point. I am sorry I cannot remember the post but had photos to demonstrate. If the paper was cut the travel is too severe - back off the powder a bit.

Like any reloading the best charge is the lowest that will cycle the action.
Don't beat the gun to death.
The reloading challenge is to find the combination of bullet and powder that will do that with the greatest accuracy.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Kiwi for your post:
Unread 11-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #26
Sieger
User

[QUOTE=Kiwi;334698)

The reloading challenge is to find the combination of bullet and powder that will do that with the greatest accuracy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed completely!

Sieger
Unread 11-07-2020, 01:52 AM   #27
grantman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Grantman - there are posts on how to check for breech-block slam - basically using a small bit of masking tape at the back of the toggle/or breech-block at that point. I am sorry I cannot remember the post but had photos to demonstrate. If the paper was cut the travel is too severe - back off the powder a bit.

The reloading challenge is to find the combination of bullet and powder that will do that with the greatest accuracy.
No sign of this on any of my Lugers. AA#7 is said to be a powder especially formulated for 9mm. it's originally an Israeli formulation. It is claimed that AA7 produces high velocities without excessive pressures. Thanks, Kiwi
Unread 11-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #28
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,586 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
No sign of this on any of my Lugers. AA#7 is said to be a powder especially formulated for 9mm. it's originally an Israeli formulation. It is claimed that AA7 produces high velocities without excessive pressures. Thanks, Kiwi
The only problem I have with AA7 is the granules it leaves in a Luger's action. I have no such residue with CFE Pistol.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 11-08-2020, 12:19 AM   #29
grantman
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs View Post
The only problem I have with AA7 is the granules it leaves in a Luger's action. I have no such residue with CFE Pistol.
Hmmm....I have found AA7 to be exceptionally clean-burning. And your previous comment was correct ....I have been loading round-meplat FMJs. WW white box, even though round meplat, offered less reliable function. I measured these at 1.163"+ . I tried mag-tech 115 FMJ, which measured 1.155" and it offered much greater reliability. I have had best function with 1.155" to 1.160" COLs.