LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts
Default 6" .30 Luger barrel, 1906 style

I decided to replace the 7.65 mm, mis-matched, really ugly 3 7/8" barrel on my lesser '06 AE with a 6".

What I desire is the early style/Swiss style barrel configured with "pencil" profile, non-ramped sight block, and notched sight blade.

Ed Tinker has graciously sold me a nice barrel he's acquired, and it's on the way. However, it is of standard P08 configuration--no pencil taper, ramped sight block with appropriate sight blade.

Ed's having a little sellers' remorse and I'd undo the deal if I could find another in decent shape to conform to my wild desires, possibly from an early DWM commercial? Not sure if a Swiss would interchange without the potential work necessary if it does not headspace or clock the front sight properly. But I'm uncertain if such a beast even exists. Was such a barrel ever made originally?

If not, or if it's unlikely I could ever find one, I'll go ahead with the P08 bbl. It will probably take a while for the barrel change project to arrive at its place on the runway, so in the meantime I'm reserving the barrel from Ed as backup in case of total bad luck in achieving 100% of my wishes.

No response yet to my WTB posting, so apparently I need some more creative means of shaking one of these barrels out of the trees.

David Parker
Unread 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I am 'fine' I just got a 6 inch barrel.

great to see you got it
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
Won't that have the longer threaded breech end??? Or does your '06 have the longer receiver???
This one is the later, short frame. My better '60 AE has the long frame, but it's in pretty good shape, with the 4 7/8" already. I want a little something different for this gun, which is a definite shooter. Yeah, for a barrel originally installed on a long frame, I'd have to shorten the breech, re-chamber, and re-establish the extractor notch, right?
The combination of 6", pencil profile, and short frame might be hard to come by. I was wondering if they were ever made this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
I am 'fine' I just got a 6 inch barrel.

Please don't include me in a posting with the words buyers remorse.

jeez
Oops, sorry, Ed. I'm glad you had good luck at the gun show and have another barrel. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but, above, I said "sellers' remorse", which concept has been discussed on the forum. I've had it; others have admitted to it, as well. I'm about to have another dose of it soon, as I mail off one of the factory original cast front sights for an Erma Ep.22. which I sent for from Germany this summer.
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
nukem556
User

David....i don't know if you keep an eye on Gunbroker, but not long ago they had a barrel just like you desire, 6in .30, pencil profile. I'm pretty sure Tom Heller still has 6in .30 barrels, but they are the thicker P08 profile
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Oops, sorry, Ed. I'm glad you had good luck at the gun show and have another barrel. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but, above, I said "sellers' remorse", which concept has been discussed on the forum. I've had it; others have admitted to it, as well. I'm about to have another dose of it soon, as I mail off one of the factory original cast front sights for an Erma Ep.22. which I sent for from Germany this summer.
sorry, should have had a smilie face

Unread 12-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
David....i don't know if you keep an eye on Gunbroker, but not long ago they had a barrel just like you desire, 6in .30, pencil profile. I'm pretty sure Tom Heller still has 6in .30 barrels, but they are the thicker P08 profile
Nope, he's out--first place I checked!

I check G.B. pretty much every day. Guess I missed that one. Double Dang!
Unread 12-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Nope, nothing there, either Lots of short 7.65 barrels, a few arties; but no 6".. I did notice the pattern of re-listing, as things reappeared going down the list. One for $100 reappeared several times, "Luger barrel needs relined".
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I assume that you have checked with the LugerDoc?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

David
Have you looked at the 6" barrel on ebay. It is item # 150963736074. It closes in 10 hours. Presently at $89. Bill
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yes, but someone wants it more than I do. Very blurry pics in this listing, impossible to see/assess the "freckling" the lister speaks of. It is the same configuration as my purchase from Ed, which I have decided not to fool with/modify to be "pencil" style. But one that is damaged on the outside, well, that'd be a more likely candidate for the lathe and mill, that's what I need if not possible to come up with one already old style shape.
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Another option, although more involved and probably more $$$, is to take the 6"/7.65 barrel w/P-08 profile and 're-profile' it...Turn down the taper to 1900 spec, square off the sight base, and notch the blade...It wouldn't be original. and would require blueing, but it might be acceptable for a 'lesser '06 AE'...

Like some auto racer once said, "There's no substitute for cubic dollars"...
I am considering this, as I said above. I didn't want to do it to the Ed barrel because it's original and in really nice shape; it would be just the thing for building a Navy in 7.65. But one with a good bore, but ugly/damaged on the outside could work pretty well for unearthing the pencil profile from within what is presented by a standard P08 configuration. I could do the lathe work, but I'd have to have someone with a mill take down the O,D. of the barrel band, since the sight block sits on it. Refinishing is something the whole gun needs, so doing the barrel along with it would help assure the finish matches everywhere on the pistol.

No problem having one made from scratch out of the Re. 700 .30s Rick says are available, but at this point, most of it would be beyond the reach of my abilities and facilities. If there is a volunteer who could fashion one in the white for me along these lines, and for, say, $200 or less, speak right up, and I'll find one of these old take-offs!
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Well, here's the eBay one. Less than an hour to go. It's just over $200, what's it worth? I hate these non-pictures...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Germ...70959164675%26

Update: Auction ended, sold for $222.50. I didn't bid again.

What would be a fair price to pay for one like I want? Is my $150-200 range unrealistic? It might just as well have been, in this case.
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default 1900 style .30 luger barrel--so far...

Here is a pic of what has been done to the standard configuration barrel so far. I found a local machinist who worked to my specs and a 4 3/4" barrel on the upper of my other '06AE--and VERY reasonably. He also milled me a set of tool steel bars from which to slice individual extractor blanks for the Erma KGP68a.

Ed or Hugh, I cannot for the life of me find the pic of this barrel as it was passed on to me. If either of you still has it, could you please post it here, for comparison? Thanks in advance.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6x 30 Luger barrel--old style from new style.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	32793  

Name:	6x 30 Luger barrel--old style from new style 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	32794  

Name:	extractors milled bar.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	32795  

Name:	Erma extractors sliced from milled bar.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	32796  

Attached Images

Unread 03-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

That is indeed quite interesting...I have a hypothetical question, which may interest other members as well...

Would he be interested in 'profiling' a six inch 7.65 Luger barrel blank??? Specifically, one with the threads & chamber already cut, and the front sight base 'indexed'??? But the bulk of the barrel exterior left at approximately 1.25" diameter???

Purely hypothetical...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Hugh
RIP

David,
I don't have a pic of it, sorry.
Hugh
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
That is indeed quite interesting...I have a hypothetical question, which may interest other members as well...

Would he be interested in 'profiling' a six inch 7.65 Luger barrel blank??? Specifically, one with the threads & chamber already cut, and the front sight base 'indexed'??? But the bulk of the barrel exterior left at approximately 1.25" diameter???

Purely hypothetical...
Postie,

He might do it again. The work cost me $100 plus materials, and this included milling 2 bars of tool steel to Erma extractor profile, slicing a few blanks from one bar, and turning a couple of little plungers that help the retractor's spring interface with a small notch on the back of the extractor. I thought it was a great bargain and was pleased to have found him to do this kind of work. The profile actually has an area towards the breech that is not straight. He turned the front end of the barrel first and left a portion of straight turned cylinder shape towards the back in order to hold onto it better while milling the barrel band down. Re-establishing the continuation of the tapered cut is where it's off, but I'll be able to straighten it out on my own equipment. He said he'd do a project or two in the future, but basically has shifted his interests from guns to clocks, and would prefer to work on them instead. Go figure.

BTW, I obviously will need a barrel change next. Seth, the original guy, has referred me to another guy, with whom I've spoken on the phone. When I meet up with him, I'll take him my pile of parts in case he can handle the job. But if I get a feeling that his capabilities are inadequate, would you like to be involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
David,
I don't have a pic of it, sorry.
Hugh
No problem Hugh. Maybe I can find it on my computer if I look harder! Thanks for lookin', anyway...
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I will look, did I talk about it or show it to you originally

I love the new look !
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

When I talk to the guy about clocking, indexing, and proper barrel vise and system to hold the extension without damaging it, and finally headspacing check/adjustment, I should be able to gauge his abilities. I'm hoping, as is very possible, that the replacement will crank right on just fine, however, I'm also aware that clocking and headspacing have their own needs and remedies. If he says he has a .30 luger chamber reamer already, I'll begin to think we can do it here. He's also a machinist, and even though he might not have specific Luger experience, I think we'll be fine.

One more question: I've seen the dimensional range for proper headspacing discussed before, not too long ago. Could someone with the figures please post them? My search didn't turn up the post I wanted...
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

IA, Just be aware that the threaded portion of a M1900 barrel is about an 1/8" LONGER than that of a standard PO8, so that a standard barrel will not work without a lot of work. TH
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Tom,

It's been a while since I started this thread... The frame for this AE is newer, short style. This was taken into consideration when I obtained this barrel from Ed, so the new barrel is also for the short style. The apparent 1900 style of the barrel is only manifest on the outside!