LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 07-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
CorporalGungee
User

Default WWI Artillery Luger Leather SOFT SHELL Holster commercial ?

Hi,
I just picked up this holster and can't find out any information on it , and would appreciate any info . I think it's commercial ? It seems to have had some type of disc or pin on it too at some time . it looks like the stiching is all done crocked , probably done on by hand on a sewing machine ?

I just noticed something else a little strange , it's on the buckle / The roller tube ( a roll pin type with a seam ) has a notch in the center to keep the latch pin in place and centered . If someone knows about when this type of pattern came out , it could help date what era the holster is from . The buckle is about 20% smaller than a normal buckle that is usually found on a Luger holster .

The belt loops are of the same type of leather as the BACK with the texture / pattern / print , BUT that is on the INSIDE and can't be seen in the pictures . So I'd have to think that they are original to the holster .
I added a couple new pictures of the belt loops so that one can see that the textured surface is turned towards the inside ( backwards in my opinion )

I looked at the pull up knot on the holster and it is different ; it's actually doubled over and then pulled through the very end that has a slit and another slit so that it forms TWO bumps with the strap going through the middle . it looks kind of like a letter "Y" from the side and each side at the top being doubled over . The leather is very thin for being used in a holster .
I was not able to post a picture of the knot as I reached max limit .

I do think that the stitching is common dress-markers thread used in an regular clothing type sewing machine . Also I think that you are correct in that it was assembled and sewn by a novice on a taylors / home style sewing machine . However the cutting of the leather , maybe from a pattern ? ; seems to be just fine and not irregular at all ( not like it was cut with a pair of succors )

The corduroy type leather is very thin being used in it's construction and the print of it's pattern reminds me of Elephant Skin .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqJHJEUFGrjHTgftBRyO-SfBMg~~60_3.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	34832  

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJBQFG-3Z)lOSBRyO-C7RQw~~60_3.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	34833  

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJEEFGvim4EYRBRyO-GuBz!~~60_3.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	34834  

Name:	$T2eC16hHJGkFFmdjKgrzBRyO-W0Wfg~~60_3.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	34835  

Name:	$T2eC16NHJHIFFh,8s10hBRyO9-5F9!~~60_3.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	34836  

Name:	$T2eC16VHJGgFFmy-6BzRBRyO-OZwl!~~60_3.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	34837  

Name:	$T2eC16VHJHwFG0uFUuFUBRyO97E30g~~60_3.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	34838  

Name:	$T2eC16ZHJF8FFqHDzTdkBRyO-Kl7pQ~~60_3.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	34839  

Name:	S7300037.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	34931  

Name:	S7300045.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	34932  

Last edited by CorporalGungee; 07-19-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: new info
CorporalGungee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

I first looked at the photos; then discovered you mention the crooked stitching in your description. My money's on Jerry Burney, or maybe Bill Lyons as possible sources for real info on this. It impresses me with its crude workmanship. My notion is that it is a one-off, maybe even limited production, by an individual or small shop that had little Q.C. I don't think you'd see anything as bad as this produced/offered in any "official" sense, commercially or otherwise.
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

David is on the mark here..Not good enough to be commercial per se. One thing of note however..the textured leather. Could be it was made from a salvaged suitcase or some other leather item. Looks old though don't it?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Agree with David and Jerry. An unknown commercial type holster. I would assume made up in a leather shop. The belt loops are fairly new and machine stitched. The ribbed leather is similar to an unknown holster in original version Gortz and Sturgess Volume 3 page 1348. Bill
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

The ribbed leather is similar to an unknown holster in original version Gortz and Sturgess Volume 3 page 1348. Bill

Bill..Yes..This corduroy type leather is seen on some very early Artillery holsters. It was also used on many types of leather goods..map cases, suitcases and the like. Could be this was made from something like that.
I talked with Paul last night and he brought to my attention the indentation in the middle of the roller on the buckle. I can now see what he was saying looking at the photo's. I have never seen this on a German Military buckle? He also says it is smaller than a Luger holster buckle.
The stitching is much too small to be linen so it was either made with a cotton dressmaker thread or a more modern nylon
A couple of other things I just noticed looking at details..The pull-up strap knot is simply rolled up. Not an actual German tied knot. Also the slot for this strap in the front body of the holster appears to be just a slit..not the usual oval cutout. This indicates to me that a novice was trying to replicate but was not overly knowledgeable or skilled.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Looking at this again I think the belt loops are probably original. All the stitching looks very amateur. But no question it is old. And interesting. Bill