LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #21
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy1661 View Post
Thank you for your comments Ron.

Here's is something that occurred to me as I continued to do more research on era of this gun. During the Weimer Era after WWI beginning in 1918, Germany was destabilized economically and there was a geat deal of unrest. Police were oftentimes soldiers returning from the war and with lack of funds many were forced make due with the firearms they had and it was probably not unlikely for guns to be altered. I also read an article that likened the Weimer Era from 1918 - 1933 as Germany’s “Roaring Twenties” with a many criminal gangs involved in narcotics, gambling, prostitution, etc. Perhaps in such a lawless time it might not be that uncommon for a gun like mine to be changed leaving no identification markings - even if it were a police sidearm.

If the markings on the holster represent the Schupo of Merseburg and it is an m1900 frame, could this be a possible explanation?

It's at least an entertaining thought!
Interesting theory, but I doubt it has anything to do with your pistol. It quite likely lost its markings when polished for re-bluing.

The German populace was "disarmed" at the time, and mere possession of the pistol would have send the carrier to jail. JMHO.

Holsters are quite "portable" and there is no reason to associate this particular holster with that pistol, again JMHO.
Unread 09-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #22
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy1661 View Post
Hello everyone and thank you for your comments and explanations. I am learning a great deal!

I am also beginning to understand the gun mechanisms better. I noticed that comments were made about the toggle not being locked and properly seated and i have fixed that. The was a pin that was slightly misaligned in the toggle mechanism that was causing it to hang up and not close completely. I was able to move that pin back in place and voila' it now is completely closed.

I have also attached additional photos as requested and I hope these are clear and focused for you. If anyone needs another photo other than what I have attached just let me know and I'll do my best to get that to you.

Thank you all once again for your assistance!
The original toggle latch would have held the "pin" you pushed back in place; obviously the maker of the replacement did not realize this "dual" purpose served by the latch.
Unread 09-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #23
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

in the first of your latest group of pictures, you can see the flat at the front of the frame where the serial number normally appears. It looks like it gently curves inward in a concave shape. This is where the frame's serial number would have been removed. The work is very skilled and probably required a precision mill.

You can also see other surfaces that are normally squared and level are now proud to adjacent parts or dished or curved. These are also evidence of removing markings.

Normally there is a small "L" shaped sprind under the take down lever that fits in a groove to keep it in place while firing. This appears to be missing, but may not be accommodated by a replacement lever made differently than the original.

If I have not recommended it, take a look at our FAQ document. It's pretty useful.

And, If I were you, I'd submit it to the ATF process and make it legal again.

It's one of the more interesting modified Lugers I've seen.