LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 09-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #21
ttarp
User

Beaumont, Orange, and Port Arthur, Texas used to be called the Golden Triangle, just a local thing, I don't usually put locations down on forums, just did it on a whim. I'll change it to S.E. Texas.

For me the draw to Interarms is its a newer pistol with less history attached to it, I won't fret and worry about parts breaking every time I shoot it. Not saying the originals are super delicate and easily broken, I'll just have better peace of mind not risking damaging a piece of history. Am I taking that thought too far?

I appreciate the input.
ttarp is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to ttarp for your post:
Unread 09-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #22
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

WW-II Era Lugers are well made, and have excellent metallurgy. They hold up well. Of course, any pistol can experience breakage.

My shooter is a Mauser S/42 WW-II Luger - all matching - with finish condition issues...

- - - -

On the magazine, I must have mixed up comptability issues with the Aimco pistols. I thought I remembered that there were subtle differences in the Mauser Interarms guns.,..
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 09-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #23
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarp View Post
Beaumont, Orange, and Port Arthur, Texas used to be called the Golden Triangle, just a local thing, I don't usually put locations down on forums, just did it on a whim. I'll change it to S.E. Texas.

For me the draw to Interarms is its a newer pistol with less history attached to it, I won't fret and worry about parts breaking every time I shoot it. Not saying the originals are super delicate and easily broken, I'll just have better peace of mind not risking damaging a piece of history. Am I taking that thought too far?

I appreciate the input.
If you do break a part, they are even harder to find(Interarms that is)!

Yes, you are worrying too much- JMHO.

DWM and Erfurt lugers are quite well made also, and served for scores of years in tough environments and many firings without problems.

Marc, thinks the Mausers are better- I think they are just different.

Use standard US 9mm loadings and not +P or Nato rounds and you will be fine. Parts can break eventually on any pistol, some right out of the box. Parts are plentiful for original lugers, that should say something about survivability in itself.

Just buy your first luger, which ever comes along first in good shape at a good price- and enjoy it!
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 09-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #24
ttarp
User

Thanks for the reality check. I've had a lot of preconceived notions about Lugers that I've been learning over the last couple of years were completely false, still working through some of them.
ttarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #25
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Welcome to Luger University where you will find Luger Doctorates sharing decades of actual luger subject matter. It includes both research sections as well as the worlds largest luger sourcs at your touch. Thousands of posts with wonderful luger pictures!There are luger professors on line who actually wrote books on the subject you seek! You can raise your hand at any time day or night. Ask away because that is how you learn to love and feed your luger addiction! Someone is always here worldwide! You don't always have to read through ten thousand topics for your one question! Mearly post in in an appropriate section. You can send a private message to another member if they allow as most do. Just remember your manners and respect. Respectively Submitted Eric~
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 01:54 AM   #26
RShaw
User

"If you do break a part, they are even harder to find(Interarms that is)!

Yes, you are worrying too much- JMHO."

I think I am worrying too much too after breaking the holdopen in my shooter. It's a SHOOTER after all. Take care of it, enjoy it and stop fussing. I'm talking to myself here. BUT.. I'm not shooting a collector piece. To preserve history; no ttarp, you're not taking that thought too far at all.
Don, mrerick, thanks - your points are well taken.

Last edited by RShaw; 09-13-2017 at 05:02 PM.
RShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 02:00 AM   #27
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Welcome to our forum.

If I were you I would look for a fairly recent caliber 9 Para MAUSER P08 made in 1942, you probably can find a nice "Russian capture" for a good price.

Safe shooting.
Unread 09-13-2017, 02:40 PM   #28
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Great info above. I own original Lugers, and post war Parabellum Lugers. I shoot all of my Lugers, as I don't own any rare Lugers. The Mec-Gar mags work 100% in all of my Lugers. Just find a nice Luger that you feel like you can afford, and desire, and go for it!!! It likely will not end up being your only Luger.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #29
RShaw
User

Rhuff: Very true.
The Mec Gar mag I have for my shooter has been faultless so far. I have two Lugers right now, a collector 1917 DWM all matching including grips and 1 mag- that gun I don't shoot.

My shooter is a 1918 DWM, reblued, a beautiful gun, which WAS all matching until I broke the holdopen the other day. But... I bought it to shoot, and shoot it I will!!

At heart I am more a shooter than a collector, although I do very much appreciate the value of collecting those special collector pieces, which, in my opinion, should not be shot. (Collector, IMO, = original finish, all matching, "pretty close to original factory condition")
Once a part in an all matching gun breaks, it breaks, and the gun is compromised. A pity really. As one person aptly said, "They just ain't makin' these things no mo' "

BUT, it's WONDERFUL to have shooters to SHOOT!!

JMHO. I know... now I'm rambling....

Looking for magazine no. 7097
Venlo, the Netherlands- RShaw

Last edited by RShaw; 09-13-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #30
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bob are there many lugers in the Netherlands?
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #31
RShaw
User

"Bob are there many lugers in the Netherlands?"

In my experience of keeping my eye out for these guns (about 10 months), there are relatively few. The collector DWM which I ended up buying I saw on the shelf of a gunsmith / friend who lives about 3-4 miles from our house, while the shooter I now have I bought from a forum friend. Other than these two.... I have only seen two others, a Swiss 7.65 mm also for sale by a collector here in the area (a beautiful gun... rig I should say... I'm still pondering that one), and a badly abused P08 in a gunshop south of here- significantly damaged grips, rather "beat up" really, asking price was Eu 1075. Badly overpriced IMO.

That's it really.
There is a well recognized NL website for selling firearms; all kinds of guns come and go through there... but a Luger only pops up very occasionally. Same basically true for 1911's, P38's, and other WWI and WWII classics.

Probably there are far more here in NL.... but not for sale. Also, people tend to be rather secretive about the guns they own, it's not a subject which is widely discussed here at all. Only a small community actively collects and shoots firearms here... nothing like the press guns are getting in the US, not even close.

Basically- Lugers are not easy to come by here.

You are fortunate in the US re. availability of these and other unique masterpieces of engineering... but I do think prices in the US are about 10-15% higher than they are here from what I have seen and from conversations I have had.

Looking for magazine no. 7097
Venlo, the Netherlands- RShaw

Last edited by RShaw; 09-13-2017 at 06:37 PM.
The following member says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 09-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #32
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

You are absolutely right and better yet they are much easier to divorce!!
Unread 09-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #33
mccaslyn
User

I have a 42 dated mauser thats matching besides the toggle train. After replacing the hold open spring ive shot about 800 rounds so far thru her with mecgar mags with no malfunctions whatso ever accurate aswell. Lugers are an itch you cant scratch and im already looking for an erfurt or dwm shooter
mccaslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #34
RShaw
User

Mccaslyn:
Ahhh very nice!
What ammo are you using?
I know what you mean....
Unread 09-14-2017, 12:16 AM   #35
mccaslyn
User

I bought alot of bulk lax ammo just standard 115gr brass. But have also shot remmington. Wwb. Perfecta and federal and all have worked excellent. Perfecta i had to stop because it seemed to have alot of flash and was pretty hot so it made me a little nervous haha.
mccaslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to mccaslyn for your post: