LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-01-2001, 07:13 PM   #1
Terry A de C Foley

Default Ministry of Defence Pattern Room Collection

To all - , First of all, many thanks for the welcome I received from your forum. I hope to be able to return that with interest. I am a frequent to our Pattern room, which, no doubt, many of you will have heard of. Basically, for those who haven't, it is the part of the British MoD responsible for the collection of all new and innovative weapons up to 20mm from all sources, and was started up in around the mid 1700s's. It includes just about one or even two or three of just about every military arm ever made, anywhere, including your own, as well as a huge collection of civilian weapons. So you can see that not only is the collection immense by any standards, it is also wide-ranging. F'rinstance, the pattern Sharps rifles and carbines are not in the USA, but here in Nottingham. Needless to say, the collection of Lugers is both interesting and full of surprises - we have the Krieghoff serial #1 as an example to go by turning up in the gunshop equivalent of a yard-sale a couple of years ago. If you have any particular question that is a burning desire, please give me a call any time. I warn you, however, that I do spend a lot of time away in Canada, and it may be a while before I can get your answer - but I promise to do my best.

regards to all

Terry F.

Unread 12-02-2001, 12:16 AM   #2
Tracy

Default Re: Ministry of Defence Pattern Room Collection

Hi Terry

Thanks for offer really appreciated. Would love to see the collection some day but understand that it is not open to public?

Unread 12-02-2001, 04:37 AM   #3
Terry A de C Foley

Dear Tracy - Referecne Pattern Room - read my note below to Viggo G. Thanks for the contact. By the way, is that a male or female name? Over here we seem to do things with names quite a lot differently - even in Canada we have male and female friends called Randy, f'rinstance. Help!

Regards

Terry F

Unread 12-02-2001, 04:50 PM   #4
HÃ?Â¥kan Spuhr
User

Unfortuntaely will the Pattern room be moved from its place in Nothingham to a new build house in Leeds at the Royal Armouries.

As I understand the museum have just closed and will be closed for maybe a few years before the new house is built.

I wrote an article about the pattern room a while ago and before the article I spoke to the former curator of the Museum.

Regards HÃ?Â¥kan

http://www.vapensmedjan.com
Unread 12-02-2001, 09:38 PM   #5
Tracy

Its my last name and male. I was stationed in Vietnam with an Aussie whos daughters name was Tracy he traded me out of my Field Jackey so he could give it to her.

Unread 12-03-2001, 01:42 PM   #6
Terry A de C Foley

Dear Tracy - thanks for that. There is nothing worse than gettin the sex of the name mixed. I was all set to do a presentation to a bunch of learned folks in Seattle a few years ago, and the disappointment on their collective faces when a male British major took the podium lasted until the very last word.......

#regards

Terry F