LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 10-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
britbit50
User

Default Grip safety on Interarms Swiss 29/70 style 9mm

Just purchased a 9mm Swiss 29/70 Mauser and accuracy is very tight with Winchester and Remington FMJ from Dick's.

However I find I have to grip the pistol very tightly to compress the grip safety unlike my Colt 1911 WWI Commemorative.

Is this normal, can a lighter spring be installed ? anyone know?

Thanks
britbit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I own a Mauser 06/73, and yes, that grip safety spring is fairly strong. Have you lubed things up where the grip safety slides? You need to be VERY careful when you remove the left grip...there is a sticky on that maneuver.

Once things are cleaned and lubed, you might use a non-marring method(string, etc) to depress the grip safety for a time to see if the spring will take a set and lighten up a bit. To my knowledge, there are no lighter springs available for sale. If i am wrong, someone will correct me.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbit50 View Post
Just purchased a 9mm Swiss 29/70 Mauser and accuracy is very tight with Winchester and Remington FMJ from Dick's.

However I find I have to grip the pistol very tightly to compress the grip safety unlike my Colt 1911 WWI Commemorative.

Is this normal, can a lighter spring be installed ? anyone know?

Thanks
My experience, so far, is that the springs would all be the same. Lugerdoc, on this forum, stocks them, last I knew.

Since the springs are all pretty much alike, I suspect that the one in yours may have broken and been replaced with something else to do the job. If the hole into which the curled end is installed is modified, it may present a problem in fitting the new spring. But one step at a time. Let's see a pic of the spring you have in there. You may need to remove the grip safety bar, which pivots within the curl of the spring. It can be done without a lot of dis-assembly as the bar will deflect enough to shift/slip it out of the frame--just don't use a lot of force!
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
britbit50
User

Thanks I'll try and get at it this weekend when I have some time free.
britbit50 is offline   Reply With Quote