LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 04-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
texkaw
User

Default Aftermarket Luger magazines - which ones are OK

I have a 95% 1920 DWM Vopo P08 that is a shooter, my first Luger, and would like to get some extra mags for it for the range, maybe for CCW as well.

I have found some Stoeger magazines for a good price, and was wonder if anyone had any experience with these, are they reliable mags?

What other mags can be had that are not C&R but will work well with the P08?

Thanks for any comments.
texkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Tex, welcome to the forum, it seems to be the consensus of opinion amoung experianced Luger owners/shooters that Mec-Gar is the best, most reliable after market mags available. Right now they are a little hard to find but do come on the market occasionaly. Good luck.

Lon
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
texkaw
User

Thanks, I will seek those out.
Unread 04-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I own three(3) of the OEM Stoeger/Mitchell P08 mags. The first one fit and functioned fine. The next two were a bit oversize.....not by much, but oversize. A quality control problem, I would say. A bit of sanding here and there and I got them to fit and function. They are not near the quality and consistency of the Mec-Gar Luger mags. Have you checked with Greg Cote LLC ? He tries to keep a good supply when possible and has very attractive prices....also a nice guy.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

welcome to the forum!

DDR mags are very nice, but getting a bit expensive ($65-$90)
Triple K - I don't like - but some work fine
Mec-gar are good
Earlier Erma or Mauser made are excellent - as are Swiss mags, but they are $75 and up

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

I would advise against using Erma or post war Mauser mags. Both are no longer made, Erma is bankrupt and the Dutch company that made them for Mauser has gone bankrupt so many times they don't know their own name anymore.

Apart from that, the bottoms of the Mauser magazines shatter quite easily and both Erma and Mauser are becoming more collectable.

So stick to MecGars for shooting, I'd say
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
texkaw
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
I own three(3) of the OEM Stoeger/Mitchell P08 mags. The first one fit and functioned fine. The next two were a bit oversize.....not by much, but oversize. A quality control problem, I would say. A bit of sanding here and there and I got them to fit and function. They are not near the quality and consistency of the Mec-Gar Luger mags. Have you checked with Greg Cote LLC ? He tries to keep a good supply when possible and has very attractive prices....also a nice guy.
Actually, since the Mec-Gar mags were suggested to me, I have found many sources with them in stock.
I just did a web search for MGLUGP08B and seems like there's a ton of them out there now.

MidwayUSA currently has the best price+shipping on them (the blued version). I have ordered a couple.

Thanks for the info on the Stoegers. I am a complete noobie when it comes to P08s.
Unread 04-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #8
texkaw
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
welcome to the forum!

DDR mags are very nice, but getting a bit expensive ($65-$90)
Triple K - I don't like - but some work fine
Mec-gar are good
Earlier Erma or Mauser made are excellent - as are Swiss mags, but they are $75 and up

Ed
Thanks! Glad I found the forum!

I would not mind getting authentic period mags, but since the pistol is a VoPo re-arsenal, and it has import marks form CAI, and it does have one original DDR mag, I am not sure there would be any value added in buying more period mags.

I suppose having at least one extra original DDR mag might be good, though, as most of the military holsters held 1 spare. I have not acquired a period DDR holster yet, but I plan to.
Unread 04-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
texkaw
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
I would advise against using Erma or post war Mauser mags. Both are no longer made, Erma is bankrupt and the Dutch company that made them for Mauser has gone bankrupt so many times they don't know their own name anymore.

Apart from that, the bottoms of the Mauser magazines shatter quite easily and both Erma and Mauser are becoming more collectable.

So stick to MecGars for shooting, I'd say
Sounds like a good plan. Might pick up one cold war era mag for collection purposes, but the rest will be Mec-gar for now.

Is there any advantage to the nickel plated ones vs blued other than ease of cleaning and corrosion resistance? I assume both function the same.
Unread 04-17-2015, 03:58 AM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Well, if you take care to protect them from rust, the only difference is that one is shiny silver!

Interesting about the Stoeger mags... I was wondering if the specs for them might be closer to the size that fits the 90's stainless Lugers, the mags for which are just a tad too fat to be installed in an original. Stoeger owned the copyright, "Luger", and sold/branded some of those pistols.

I could use a Mauser mag or two because my '29/70 had lost its original. I have a nice post-war Swiss, three nice Ermas, and an FXO with no finish.

I keep a lookout for all such mags as Ed listed--mostly in the online auctions--and stick to max bids that are advantageous to me. It's a treat when I win a lot.
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #11
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

[QUOTE=ithacaartist;270333

I could use a Mauser mag or two because my '29/70 had lost its original. [/QUOTE]

David,

You might want to check with GT, as he did have a few a while back. He made me up a Mauser tube with his "whiz-bang" mag spring and a numbered wood base for my 06/73. It turned out gorgeous!!
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

No rush for that mag, still waiting for a good bargain to be offered. I do, however, have some original mags I intend to have G.T. transform one of these days. I look forward to it because I've seen the results of his efforts posted here many times. He's definitely one of the go-to guys here on the forum for Luger stuff I can't do myself, or feel he would be better at performing.
Unread 04-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Mauser mag!

Hi David & Doc, Hey! I do have a Mauser parabellum magazine as issued! David, if you want it, I would send it you and we could consider it as credit against a future trade, labor or whatever? ...... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 04-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #14
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks, G.T.! I'll go for it! It's nice to be able to turn the clock back a little on this pistol and re-unite it with a proper example of its mag. I have had the SE/08 conversion kit installed in this pistol for quite a while and this will give me an excuse to yank it out and see if she still fires 9mm!

Let me know if you need my address again...
Unread 04-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #15
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default address

Hi David, yes, please send your address to: gctomeks@msn.com I'll get it packed up and sent out! best to you, til...lat'r...GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote