LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
3Horses
User

Default 1942 BYF Mixmaster won't shoot!

I guys, I just finally got my 1st P08. I wanted a shooter. So all #'s didn't have to match. Got a Mauser, love my Mauser P38, Awesome gun!
S0, I started out, with the original WWII PO8 mag. Shoots Great! Per 1 round. Stovepipes every shell. tried 3 different makers, of bullets etc.
Just got a Mec-Gar magazine today. Figured finally get to play with her!
Still stovepipes, every round. But the magazine feeds in the next round to battery.
Ejector problem?
Ejector is squared off at the bottom, so not broke. Springs up and down, NO Problem!
Fully, Fully cleaned the gun.
just asked the seller to return it, unless you guys can help me fix her.
Thanks for your help here, Terry
3Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Diver6106
User

Make sure it is well lubricated and action is clean - no globs of WWII dirt on slide/ toggle/ spring/ etc. Every one of the Luger's I bought had parts that had NEVER been cleaned and lubricated. Some required attention to work properly. Then shoot it with a firm wrist. Also insure that the main spring is not a wrong size replacement.
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=34792

Last edited by Diver6106; 09-28-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: other link
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Tell us precisely what ammo you have tried.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
3Horses
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Tell us precisely what ammo you have tried.
Freedom munitions (new) not their reloads, Winchester, and Aquila. Even tried my reloads, which I tried making hotter for this pistol.
Terry
Unread 09-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
3Horses
User

I red more posts here. Holding left hand under magazine pushing up. Will try. Gun is fully cleaned and lubed.
Also need to concentrate on limp wrist. Not used to worrying about that.
Going to load 124 gr RN. Should I put tape on the rear where the bolt (toggle) goes back? To see if it cuts it? Read about that somewhere.
thanks Terry
The following member says Thank You to 3Horses for your post:
Unread 09-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Terry,
I suggest that you first test the action (cycle the action) with the toggle hook disconnected from the recoil spring to feel for any binding, such as from a bent frame rail or warped receiver.
If the action is not binding then reconnect the spring and cycle the action by hand (pull toggle back and release) with a full magazine and observe (do this at a range).
If that works, load a single round (with the magazine in place) and fire. If the toggle does not lock back it could mean that the recoil spring is too strong or the ammo too weak.
KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Karl for your post:
Unread 09-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
3Horses
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Terry,
I suggest that you first test the action (cycle the action) with the toggle hook disconnected from the recoil spring to feel for any binding, such as from a bent frame rail or warped receiver.
If the action is not binding then reconnect the spring and cycle the action by hand (pull toggle back and release) with a full magazine and observe (do this at a range).
If that works, load a single round (with the magazine in place) and fire. If the toggle does not lock back it could mean that the recoil spring is too strong or the ammo too weak.
KFS
Thank you for that info. Will try this afternoon, when I get home from work.
Unread 09-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
3Horses
User

Is there supposed to be a spring in the rear of the ejector? I made a mistake talking about the extractor. It looks good!
I'm questionable about my extractor, now.
terry
Unread 09-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
3Horses
User

Quote:
Terry,
KFS
Action feels real good disconnected. Nice and smooth!
Just tested with a full magazine. Shells won't eject out, by just cocking back and forth. I believe the ejector is broke.
Any dimensions?
Is there a spring in the rear end of it?
I don't have one.
Terry
Unread 09-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
3Horses
User

Quote:
Terry,
KFS
Full magazine loaded, pulled the toggle back, bullet comes out with the extractor, but then just sits there.
it should eject it correct????
Thanks terry
Unread 09-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Yes, there is a flat spring on the right side with a hook in it that sticks inside and bumps the rim when it gets that far back, sending it flying. Sounds like you are "hookless".
Closeup photos of the thin metal strip on the right rear side of the gun, and inside looking down on the mag well with the toggle back will help us.
But it sounds like you have found your problem.
Good job!
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 09-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Terry,
To clarify: the extractor is on the top of the breach block. It pivots back and forth like a seesaw via a small pin through the breach block and it does have a coil spring in the back. (If you did not remove and clean this before it should be cleaned).
The ejector is a one-piece spring attached to the side of the receiver. The front end of it, the "hook" as described by David above, rests in a groove cut into the side of the breech block.
Both parts are prone to breakage. "Lugerdoc" on this forum is likely to have replacements. Original replacement parts are desirable and worth the expense. The aftermarket parts don't work very well and typically require fussing with. In my opinion, depending on the terms of the sale, if the gun was sold to you with a broken part you should attempt to resolve the matter with the seller.
KFS
Unread 09-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #13
DTR04
User

Lock the toggle back on an empty magazine. Look at the right inner side at the front of the breechblock and you should see the ejector (circled in red) protruding through the side rail. Check that it moves freely and has spring tension.
Attached Images

DTR04 is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DTR04 for your post:
Unread 09-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
3Horses
User

Quote:
Terry,
KFS
I forgot to test fire the single round, and see if the toggle holds back. Crap, I forgot to try it. I have 3 horses here in front of shooting range, and i'm installing an outdoor woodstove. Busy, busy, and just forgot to try. Tomorrow is another day! Still the ejector looks not right to me. Thanks again Terry
Unread 09-30-2015, 04:20 AM   #15
3Horses
User

Pics

Unread 09-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #16
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Here's a pic of the parts on a P-08 -

From your pics, your ejector seems intact. As for the extractor, it does get full of crud.

Field strip the gun, use a paperclip or small rod [drill bit] to push the extractor pin out of the breechblock. The pin should not be difficult to remove. Hold your finger over the extractor so the spring doesn't fly out. Clean everything out good, use the paperclip/rod/drill to put it back together. Check the extractor nose for chips. Clean out the notch in the barrel where it fits in.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 09-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote: "Full magazine loaded, pulled the toggle back, bullet comes out with the extractor, but then just sits there.
it should eject it correct????
Thanks terry"

Terry,
Yes bullet should eject with toggle pulled back, even when pulled back slowly. Your photos show that the ejector is intact, but it doesn't seem to protrude in toward the breech face very much.

It is possible that there is crud between the ejector and receiver that is preventing its full travel. Check for travel by slowly pulling the toggle back until you see the extractor is even with the breech face. It should be all the way into the cutout in the breech face. If not, remove and clean.

The ejector is a bit of a trick to remove and install. There may be directions posted here somewhere.
KFS
Unread 09-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Horses View Post
Pics

That ejector doesn't seem very healthy to me. With the open breechblock, the front part of the ejector should get well into the frame. In your third picture that is not very evident. Could be the angle of the picture though.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 09-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #19
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I guess the test would be to use a dummy round, or maybe an empty hull, chamber it and then pull back the toggle to see if the rim hits the ejector hits it and ejects it.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 09-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #20
kurusu
User

This is what I mean.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	52292