LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
1994Stoeger
User

Default Dumb question

Hi all - I think I may know the answer to this, but figured I'd ask the greater group who has access to the various texts which the more pedestrian of us do not own and/or cannot justify buying.

Would a 1936 S/42 have possibly left the factory with a 7.65mm barrel on it?

If not, would a 7.65mm barrel been something an armory might have fitted upon request?

Lastly, has anyone ever seen barrel serial numbers stamped longitudinally (e.g., lengthwise along the axis of the barrel) rather than circumferentially?

Thanks in advance.
1994Stoeger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 1994Stoeger for your post:
Unread 04-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
drbuster
User

My guess for the first question is NO. Military issued P08's in 1936 were in 9mm. Any "special order" would probably have been commercially marked. The 7.65 cartridge was only being used by the Swiss at that time. Mauser did make a small number of banner marked 1908 configured commercial Lugers but they had the slim tapered 7.65 mm barrels that may have left over from DWM production. The last question pertains to longitudinally marked barrels. If I saw the numbers marked that way I would be very suspicious that this was a "re-do" of some kind. I would carefully look at the font size, halo effects, etc. I would strongly recommend that you post photos of this pistol.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote