LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
318is_Parabellum
User

Default Simson and HZA question

Main questions I have regarding the Simson I have concerns the meaning of the unit markings, in addition to the timing.

I understand that the Weimar-era Reichswehr had received a directive sometime in the 20's to stop unit-marking side arms.

My Simson was manufactured sometime in the 1928-1929 timeframe, and it seems likely was issued to a "trench mortar" outfit. Assuming I am interpreting the "M. W." (minenwerfer) mark correctly. I am a bit stumped when it comes to interpreting the rest of the unit marking. I am reasonably confident that the small "u." stands for "und" (and). In the context of "M.W./L.u.V.J.3, that makes sense. The "3" probably indicates that the pistol is "#3".

My main question regarding the HZA rework has to do with the unusual (to my eye) HzAjt18 Eagle and Swastika proof in the final firing proof (test proof?) location. In all my internet searching, I have never seen another photo of that marking, nor have I come across any reference to this particular stamping. I did come across a reference the Hza jt18 itself (thank you Dwight Gruber), but not in conjunction with a firing proof. My SWAG is that the proof was applied as the pistol was "recertified" as safe to fire...

Thanks again, and apologies for the attempted thread hi-jack. Please move as is necessary/appropriate.

I haven't been to "Luger University", as reference books are expensive. I do look forward to acquiring some in the near-ish future. For now, I must satisfy my thirst for luger knowledge by acquiring an "on-line associate's degree", if you will.

Last edited by 318is_Parabellum; 12-13-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: correct my error(s)
318is_Parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Hello, I copied your posting here - this is his original posting
http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=30921

Can you show pictures of the markings?

If I am remembering right, the HZA marking doesn't sound odd to me, but would have to see it.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
318is_Parabellum
User

Thanks Ed.

The Simson I am referring to is #5827, blank chamber that I posted in the Unit Markings forum. It is a Russian capture with the typical replacement Czech-made crown n-proofed barrel, with a ground and force-matched sideplate. I posted many detailed photos in the thread.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=30921

I posted many pics of the HZA rework in the "All P-08 Military Lugers" forum. The Eagle and Swastika HzA jt18 firing/test proof is the particular marking I am referring to. The HZA jt3 with a "stick eagle" is the most common marking of this type that I have found in my internet researching, but I've never seen the Eagle and Swastika as part of an HZA stamp. Those much more knowledgeable than I may have some more insight into this unusual marking...

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=31666

thanks again!!

The marking in question.

Last edited by 318is_Parabellum; 12-13-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: add links to referenced threads
318is_Parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

The eagle/swastika is the army proof eagle. Depot 18 at Jngolstadt was one which specialized in P08s, and this mark suggests that it had its own proof facility and proofing officer.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post: