LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
383 magnum
User

Default Chrome-plated Luger

I'm bumfuzzled as to why a pimped-out Luger would bring this much. Is there something special about the RAD belt buckle? An original Luger could have been bought for that price. Do some collectors want non-original plated Lugers? I admit that it would be cool to have one for a novelty, but I can't imagine paying that much when I could have another original one in that price range. Just my perspective. If the person who bought it is happy, that's all that really matters.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=75315629
383 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

not to me. however, minus $200-$300 for the holster, the belt buckle, another $100 (maybe more??), so the nickled luger cost $400-$500

if you think of why these are nickled, then maybe you won't put them in the "pimp" category. They were nickled / chromed because that was the in thing to do at the time after ww2, had very little to do with "pimps"...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
383 magnum
User

Edward,
If the holster is worth that much, then that's probably a fair price for the Luger. I didn't mean "pimp" literally, that is just recent slang for making something look fancy or "purty." I actually like nickled guns. I have a nickle-plated Colt SAA. If they had made a nickle-plated commercial model Luger, I would buy one, but I'm a stickler for originality.
Unread 07-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
beachbaker
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ed, I have to agree with you on this one. The very first luger I ever bought was chrome because my father (a retired army officer) had one in his foot locker aboard ship on the way home after the war. Upon off loading he found that some body had broken the lock on his locker and taken the only real souvenir he came home with in 1946 and that was a chromed luger. Yes, they may not be collector items but they are certainly history as it was the thing to do. I believe they should be looked at in this context, as history. I value my chrome luger in memory of my father but will never add to it as I have more of a collector interest in lugers than a sentimental one. Thanks, Curt
Unread 07-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Many years ago, I saw a true "Pimp" gun at a dealer's shop in the Miami area. A nickel plated Colt Govt model with several sexual positions engraved on the slide. TH
Unread 07-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
pipeman45
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Lugerdoc
Many years ago, I saw a true "Pimp" gun at a dealer's shop in the Miami area. A nickel plated Colt Govt model with several sexual positions engraved on the slide. TH
What did you have to give for it?
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley
I have still got the nickel-plated Smith & Wesson Model 29, with the 6.5" barrel, that belonged to a good friend of mine in the Israel Defence Force. ....

But I still have his revolver.

tac
great story Tac, a true hero and I am sure a good friend. I am glad you have his revolver
Unread 07-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Navy
RIP

Lugerdoc,

Tom, I have King Farouk's 1902 Colt 38 Auto. It is gold plated and profusely engraved with the classic scenes of erotica from Greek and Roman mythology. It lettered out with Colt as having gone to a Bond Street dealer in 1914. It always drops jaws when I show it. One may question the taste, but the quality of the engraving is something we simply do not encounter today. The provenance ties it to the sale of his famous and mostly purloined coin collection which was auctioned in France and Switzerland. A cool piece.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:16 AM   #9
Rod WMG
User

Patten reported said that only a "new Orleans pimp" would have pearl grips on his handgun. I have a nickled Triple Lock Smith from WWI converted from .455 to .45 Colt and tricked out with pearl grips. Guess that maks it a pimp gun twice over!

I have an Erfurt Luger which was nickled too. I think it's great to look at and to shoot. I don't care if it ever is collectible, though that would be nice.

Good nickle finishes are terrific.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:23 AM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

everyone is different Rod, I too like a nickle finish, especially if it is a piece that a GI did, thinking it made it cool
Unread 07-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
383 magnum
User

The different attitudes folks have on modifications to military firearms is interesting because it seems to depend on when the modification was made and by whom. A hunter who chooses to sporterize a military rifle, even one that is common and not valuable, often gets called "Bubba." But if a vet nickled a bringback Luger back in 1946 it's thought of as "cool." There's really no difference between these two examples because both involve making what are perceived as "improvements," to their personal property.
What if the bringback Luger had been nickled by someone else? If the Luger changed hands multiple times and was nickle plated by someone who bought it in 1970, would it still be thought of as cool? Not trying to start a flame war here on what someone should or shouldn't do with their personal property. These are just some of my thoughts. It reminds me of the "blood pitting," vs. rust debate.
Unread 07-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
azlaw
User

This raises an interesting issue as to the future value of nickled Lugers, the time when you could say "Oh it's nickled, it's worth $400" seems to be past. Perhaps in the future nickled Lugers will start to have differing values from one another. It may turn out to be important as to "who did it" and "when". Perhaps older nickle jobs done either in theater or in the immediate postwar US may start to have a higher value than those "improved" later. The theory here being that in the case of a captured gun, nickled by its captor near the time of capture, the plating perhaps acquires historical significance in an of itself. Obvioulsy issues like underlying corrosion and degree of buffing will matter as well.

If things were to turn out this way, then we would have the complex issue of determining the provenance of the plating job, and setting values accordingly. Supporting documents (especially "capture papers" etc) would obviously help, but probably examination of the plating would be all that was available.

Could be a brave new world. Or not.

H
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:02 PM   #13
Pete Ebbink
User

Plated AND with a DH on the chamber :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=76000759
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #14
383 magnum
User

I would guess that the Death's Head is fake? If it's real, then someone wrecked a good pistol.
Unread 07-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
Carl
User

I think I told the membership before but I'll repeat it again.

I was at a local auction about 2 years ago. There was a nickle or chrome plated Luger there (miss-matched numbers) . It sold for $1700 ! There was not just one fool there but two! At the time I figured it was a $350 shooter.

Carl
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #16
Carl
User

I think I told the membership before but I'll repeat it again.

I was at a local auction about 2 years ago. There was a nickle or chrome plated Luger there (miss-matched numbers) . It sold for $1700 ! There was not just one fool there but two! At the time I figured it was a $350 shooter.

Carl
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #17
pipeman45
User

Anyhow, it's obvious why the bids went so high - any Luger that belonged to Henry VIII, King of England, just had to be worth a lot of money, eh?

tac [/B][/QUOTE]

It couldn't be the King's pistol. I have it.
Had to get it after missing the George Washington matched pair. I hear some English guy bought them.
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #18
zeke1312
User

"Different strokes for different folks". To one who has a collectors knowledge and therefore selects a pistol that meets the collectors group criteria, a good Luger means ( ) fill in the blanks.

To another "stratus" or level of Luger owner or potential owner, especially those who are not into the collector "thing", they pay with somewhat less concern with the "actual" value but with their perceived value of the gun.

Some folks who own "Show & Shine" autos never drive theirs while other S&S like to cruise around.
zeke1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #19
unspellable
User

I've heard plated Lugers referred to rather indiscriminately as either nickel or chrome plated. Iâ??ve never encountered mention of a chrome plated gun of any description with a plating job done before the 1960â??s and even then few and far between.

Are all these plated Lugers nickel plated or is there really such a thing as a chrome plated one? I have Goeringâ??s personal Luger at home. Itâ??s clearly nickel plate. Not a very good job of it though.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote