LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-04-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
3line
New User

Post Right Ammo for P08

List,

I just acquired my first P08, a 1912 DWM (I've wanted one since I was 15, when they were sellng for $60 from Klein's). On the way home from the dealer, I stopped at the range to try it out with some Russian Brown Bear ammo I had along. I had a failure to feed about every 3rd or 4th shot. I have heard these are picky about ammo. Can you recommend a brand known to give good results?

Thanks
3line is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2003, 10:48 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Ammo: try the cheap white-box Winchester 100-round cartons from WalMart. As cheap as you can find 9mm, and works reliably in many Lugers. I shoot several hundred rounds of this stuff a month with no failures to function. I also have good luck with CCI Blazer.

Magazine: If you were using an original magazine which came with the gun, pick up a new-made repro mag. I recommend Mec-Gar. Original magazines can have worn or bent feed lips, or weak springs. Originals are notorious for causing problems.

Technique: Be sure to hold your Luger with a firm hand when you shoot. A Luger requires all of its recoil impetus in order to work properly--if you let your hand fly up when you shoot, it will absorb too much of the energy and cause problems.

Caution #1: Treat Russian ammunition with suspicion. It has reputedly caused gun breakage caused by overcharging due to poor quality control.

Caution #2: What kind of condition is your new Luger in? If it is all matching with lots of good original finish, it may be a collection-quality gun whose value you may risk damaging by shooting it.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2003, 01:03 AM   #3

The Wally Mart bulk pack Winchester ammo is great stuff. Cheap and accurate in my Lugers (1.5" groups at 25 yards). Ditto on the MecGar magazines and Russian ammo.
Unread 04-07-2003, 12:12 AM   #4
3line
New User

Guys,

Thanks for the advice on the ammo. Was looking at my pistol's magazine today and notice there's a crack at one of the lips. Will order out a new mag.

BTW, my pistol is a 1912 DWM. Original finish, about 90% thinning blue. No external pitting but light pitting in the bore. Has very strong rifling. The pistol has a British broad arrow capture mark on the left side of the frame. All matching including the grips except the magazine is not matching.

Regards,
Jeff
3line is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2003, 12:47 AM   #5
ViggoG
RIP

3Line,
By all means shop around, Prices vary all over the book.
Try Cheaper than Dirt.com
, and others.
Compare the prices and shipping and handling charges.
Some times these make the difference in a "good deal" and "no deal".
I purchased mine at "CtD" (above) and saved about three bucks on a pair.
ViggoG
ViggoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2003, 11:53 PM   #6

The Wal Mart bulk pack Winchester 9 mm is $10.95 per hundred, thats $5.50 for 50 DELIVERED. Its brand new domestic ammo with nice reloadable cases. I don't think any of the others compare.

By the way BEWARE OF RUSSIAN steel case ammo. Some of us have had BIG problems with that junk, me too, even in my S&W 9 mm.