LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Kirch
User

Default Luger part.

Hello guy's !
I want show this peen. And i have question about hole. May be some one see another peen with hole ?
Best regards Anton
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040249-001.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	32790  

Name:	P1040251-003.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	32791  

Name:	P1040275-002.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	32792  

Kirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Kirch
User

I'm talking about top peen.
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,358 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Anton.

You are asking about a hole in the top firing pin? It is unclear to me what you are calling the "hole". If you are asking about the grooves ground into the front shoulder of the firing pin, just behind the tip, then this would be called a "relieved" or "fluted" firing pin. These grooves were added--1914 or thereabouts, not exactly sure--and would allow the ignition gas pressure from a pierced primer to mostly pass by the firing pin instead of forcing the pin violently backward within the breech block--likely causing damage. Some also say that the grooves allow for somewhat of an accumulation of fouling before the firing pin is affected by it.

Also, a qualified technician would be able to weld material onto the one with the broken tip, and re-shape/restore the tip. This might be important to do if the firing pin is matching-numbered.

David Parker
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Kirch
User

Hello David !
Thanks for your answer. I mean this hole on red ring. In one ruusian forum people told me about its fake firing pin. And i start this theard for search answer.
Best Regards Anton
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040249-001.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	32800  

Unread 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

This is clearly a manufacturing flaw. The internal cavity was drilled too deep or the flutes are too deep and they managed to meet, creating the hole. Although technically useable, a blown primer will probably end up shearing the firing pin retainer right out of the breach block, damaging either or both.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Kirch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
This is clearly a manufacturing flaw. The internal cavity was drilled too deep or the flutes are too deep and they managed to meet, creating the hole. Although technically useable, a blown primer will probably end up shearing the firing pin retainer right out of the breach block, damaging either or both.

Greetings!
I also think that this is a defect, resulting in the production. But Deputy original firing pin? or is it a copy? Can you tell from these photos.
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Also, a qualified technician would be able to weld material onto the one with the broken tip, and re-shape/restore the tip. This might be important to do if the firing pin is matching-numbered.
Another option I have used is to drill the body and silver solder a new tip into it. If you do it right, this repair is strong and undetectable. Here is one I did just a couple of weeks ago: http://skytteforum.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=31872

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
I agree. The hole is actually rectangular, which indicates that it must be the bottom of the hole showing through. My initial thought was that you can turn a small plug and press it into the hole to make it more shallow. On second thought, this may not be strong enough, a blown primer could possibly blow the plug out.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,358 Posts

A TIG weld is needed, then re-grinding of the groove, only not so deep. (Compared to the groove in the pin next to it in the pic, the groove is longer, which means it was ground deeper.) Care must be taken to maintain the internal dimensions.

Your pin is numbered with at least a number 5, which appears to be of proper style font. If the number on the pin is the same as the last two digits of the serial number, it is likely original to the gun; the inspectors simply did not catch this flaw.

d.p.
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
Kirch
User

Thank's for your interesting thread.
Best regards Anton
The following member says Thank You to Kirch for your post: