LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 11-29-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Ken Lauderback
User

Post Newbie question

I'm sure glad that the motto here is "Even the dumbest question will be answered." because here's a good one:
On the 1917 Luger I recently purchased, on the back of the frame above the grips there is what appears to be a lanyard loop. What would have been fastened here, and to what would the other end of the lanyard (if that's what it is) have been attached?
I've never had a Luger before so don't know what the WWI setup would have been like.
Ken
Unread 11-29-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

I have a few in my police Luger collection that have a 3" or so leather pull strap for lifting the pistol out of the holster, but you a are correct it is for a lanyard loop and I believe the other end was attached too the belt
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2003, 10:01 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts
Ken, PoliceLuger, This is a rare accoutrement but I have seen several originals in recent months.

If I could post a photo it would be much better but in liew of this, if you have a copy of Luger Tips by Michael Reese he shows a photo of a WW1 Luger Lanyard in the Portugese page. It is described as a Portugese Luger lanyard but it is not. It is German.

There is a leather tab which slips into the steel loop found on most Luger pistols. It slips in and back onto itself and attaches to a brass stud. This loop is attached to a brass swivel and the swivel is attached to a thin round leather strap which was worn over the shoulder.

This was German military issue and were issued to Cavalry, Motorcycle Troops and to Stosstrupp forces in the front lines.

I have made dozens of these and sold them to collectors and shooters over the years. Originals are quite rare and are an overlooked accesorie item by many collectors. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2003, 11:55 PM   #4
policeluger
RIP

Would you like me too see if I can post a picture of one of them ?
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
By all means, if you have a photograph of a Luger lanyard, please don't hesitate to post it. Photographs cross all language barriers (even from Milwaukie, OR to Arizona/Colorado!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,194 Posts
Hi,

I've seen some examples of lanyard rings attached to lugers, and the ring connects to a clip system. Depending on the country / uniform the other end of the lanyard loop could be worn around the neck or at the epaulette of one of the shoulders also.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote