LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-29-2003, 07:08 PM   #1
Douglas Jr.
User

Unhappy Help me with this dumb question!!!

Hi everybody,

I usually do not post any messages here, because I learn so much just reading... However, this time I need your help about a Luger from a friend. It is a standard DWM 1918, chambered to 9mm with German Army Imperial proofs, with a WWII magazine.

My doubt is about the fact that the toggle does not stay open with the empty magazine inside the un (as happen with my DWM 1914 Luger). Can someone explain what is going on? It is a technical problem or only a common thing with these late war pistols?

At last I must say that I�´ve read in other messages something about the "hold-open". Where is this piece in a Luger? There is pistols that do not have it?

Sorry for such dumb questions, but here is the only place where I can find some serious help.

Best regards,

Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2003, 08:00 PM   #2
Thor
User

Either the magazine is not moving the hold open up when the last round is gone, or it is missing this part. See attached picture and part 22 is the hold open and it rests in the frame (follow the dotted line to see where it goes in the frame) The best thing is to field strip the gun and put the empty magazine in the frame and visually confirm that the hold open is in place and what is happening when the magazine is fully compessed into the frame. It should lift the hold open up when in place and when you remove the magazine the part should retract back into the frame. Good luck!
CLICK HERE for exploded parts diagram for the LUGER PISTOL
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #3
Douglas Jr.
User

Hi Thor,

I found it! I tested it with three differents magazines and it seems that it doesn�´t go upwards enough to hold the toggle open.

To me the its spring is much more stronger than would be expected, so it doesn�´t allow the piece to reach the correct position. I recomended to my friend not mess with it for a while since I�´m afraid to force the spring and break accidentaly.

Thanks and best regards,

Douglas.
Unread 03-30-2003, 11:23 AM   #4
Thor
User

Douglas, YOU ARE RIGHT, you will BREAK THE SPRING BEFORE IT BENDS, I KNOW, I HAVE DONE IT, so leave it alone!!!! (and they are not easily replaced with a quality original, and I dont like the reproduction springs). It also may be the mag spring is too weak to push it up or it may be hanging up in the frame. If you can move it easily with your thumb and it does catch on the frame it is working right. ALSO, I have seen a couple of frames that were not allowing the magazine follower button to move all the way up to this button and the button would HIT THE FRAME and stop before it even reached the hold open device. Check for this by doing the mag test as described above, but remove the grips (carefully as they may stick to the frame and break the top tip off, especially on the left side by the safety) and visually check to see it the button is stopped by the frame or if it reaches the bottom of the hold ope device. More likely, the hold open is catching on the frame recess, or the mag springs are too weak.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2003, 08:12 PM   #5
Douglas Jr.
User

Hello Thor,

I will check the magazine and the frame probably during the weekend, since I�´m quite busy during the whole week. I�´ll let you know.

But be sure that I won�´t mess with that spring. It looks too fragile to me to risk.

Thanks again and regards from Brazil.

Douglas.