LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-24-2001, 11:52 PM   #1
Buddy Ballard

Default To Kyrie re: safety removal

To Kyrie---

Thanks very much Kyrie, but I tried that and step 4 says something like "to remove safety, strike back of frame with screwdiver handle" and there is no way that that has any effect (or am I missing something?)

Unread 02-24-2001, 11:59 PM   #2
Kyrie
User

Default Re: To Kyrie re: safety removal

Hi Buddy,

Yes sir, there is; look at steps 32 - 34.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 02-25-2001, 03:54 AM   #3
BILL
User

Default Disassembly instructions

Upon checking the disassembly instructions in the Technical Information section it appears to me that the text which accompanies step #4 is incorrect. I believe that tapping the frame releases tight grips. Check it out. (Dok?)..

Unread 02-25-2001, 06:48 AM   #4
Marvin
User

Buddy,

I just looked at the disassembly instructions and you are correct, they are a bit confusing on removing the safety lever.

When you have the pistol field stripped and grips removed, hold the frame in front of you and poniting away from you. Look down inside the left side of the rear well where the safety pivots. Use a strong light and you will see a very small pin which is inside the actual frame side. Use a 1/16" dia punch and gently tap the pin down from inside the frame. After the pin moves about 1/8" you can look on the left side of the pistol, behind the safety and see the pin emerging. Continue to tap pin out (don't lose it). When the pin is out, lift the safety lever out and then remove the safety.

When you begin to reassemble, just do this in the reverse order. I always make sure I put the pin back the direction that it was removed. Tap the pin bakc until it stops and you are complete. Good Luck and I hope this helps a little.

Marvin

Unread 02-25-2001, 06:59 AM   #5
Joe DeLong

Default Safety Removal

Bud,

To remove the safety from your Luger, if it is a later model, like the WW2 guns; start with the upper receiver separated from the lower receiver (frame).

1. Remove both grip panels.

2. Look at the safety lever. You will see that it has an upper section that is polished and serrated, and a lower section that is thin and flat. The upper section is exposed while the pistol is assembled; the lower section is hidden by the grip panel. Now; look at the junction of the lower to upper step of the safety lever, and on the side toward the top of the frame, in the "curve", you should see one end of a retaining pin that is appx. 1/16" in diameter. This is the "outside" end of the pin.

3. Move the safety to the "ON" position. That is; expose the word "GESICHERT" on the frame. Now; let's find the other end of that pesky pin.

4. Grasp the grip frame in your left hand, with your finger on the trigger, and the "muzzle" pointing away from you. Now; look into the inside of the frame, about one-half inch to the rear of your knuckle (left hand), and you should find the other end of the retaining pin protruding from the left side-wall of the frame. The top of the pin is located just below, and behind the groove that runs near the top of the frame, on the left-hand side.

5. The pin is drifted down and forward from inside the frame. Note that appx. one-quarter of the pin is blocked from rear-ward travel by the frame. I suggest using a pin punch that is long enough, so that a shoulder on the punch will not strike the top of the frame. Also, you may want to support the frame in a padded vise.

6. After the pin is driven out; the safety lever simply lifts off the frame, dis-connecting from the safety bar.

7. The safety bar is then removed by sliding it down, and out of the slot.

8. In re-assembly; the pin is installed from "outside" the frame, tapping until its' end runs into the slight frame edge on the inside.

Unread 02-25-2001, 11:32 AM   #6
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Safety Removal

Maybe striking the back of the frame will also help remove that pesky mainspring.

Unread 02-25-2001, 11:48 AM   #7
Hugh
RIP

And striking the frame strongly with your staff while uttering the words "get back in there you *********** devil", will make the mainspring return to it's rightful position in the frame.

Unread 02-28-2001, 11:19 PM   #8
Buddy Ballard

Kyrie, I finally got that safety out. Had to make my own 1/16th inch punch from 1/4" drill rod, but that was the hard part. Easy job after that with your updated suggestions.. Thx Much!!

bb

P.S. Upward and onward: any suggestions on how to remove main spring w/o putting any new holes in the walls? (Or me?

Unread 02-28-2001, 11:23 PM   #9
Buddy Ballard

Thank you, Joe... between your help and Kyrie's, the job was easy. (Well, almost!)

bb

Unread 03-01-2001, 12:09 AM   #10
Ted
User

read the faq section in technical information on main spring removal and replacement

Unread 03-01-2001, 02:51 PM   #11
Joe DeLong

You're welcome! Don't forget Marvin. Let us know when you give up on the spring. It is easy also.

Unread 03-01-2001, 03:12 PM   #12
Buddy Ballard

This is gonna sound like a stupid question, but as a computer neophyte (in addition to a Luger dummy)what's the best way to read the Messages? Start in Index, or what? I'd like to be able to read (and review) all the posted msgs chronilogically. Thanks bb

Unread 03-01-2001, 03:19 PM   #13
Ted
User

Buddy on the main message page at the top there is some text that reads set preferences, click on top of that and you will go to a page where you can specify how your want the messages ordered! Dok will help you if you have more trouble! Glad to have you on the forum. Ted

Unread 03-03-2001, 02:26 PM   #14
Buddy Ballard

Default Re: Mainspring removal

Okay, Ted.. I did the preferences deal. Thanks-- re the removal of mainspring, the instructions on this are also unclear like the safey lever removal. I can see how removing the recoil lever can be first step in mainspring removal, but wont the spring then be free to impale anyone in the vicinity? Is there any trick to avoid this? Thanks, in advance! Buddy

Unread 03-05-2001, 07:06 AM   #15
Ted
User

Default Re: Mainspring removal

Buddy, you cant make a cake without breaking some eggs shells. Wear good eye protection, be as careful as possible and when removing the main spring try to direct the bottom end towards something soft like a hanging towel or shop apron. If the part gets away from you it will be propelled toward the bottom and away from you. This is not really a big deal if you take precautions. Ted