LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-12-2001, 07:10 PM   #1
Bart
User

Default Holster...

Well, I did it! The Pecard arrived, and I applied it by hand ever so gently and sparingly. Took many "Before" pictures, of the my dried out light brown holster. After the application, it turned deep brown. Now the instructions say to leave it sit for a couple of days, and re-apply where it has "soaked-in" and wipe off where is has "pooled". After the re-application and another couple of days, it should be ready for a light buffing. Just thought I would post and update for those who have helped me get to this point.

After becoming very familiar with the new holster, I must ask...on the inside of the holster, there is a piece of leather attached to the front of the holster, that loops down into it and is sewn into the back of the holster. This seems to suspend the Luger within the holster. Were all Luger holsters made this way? Am I correct in my assumption that it suspends the Luger? Was this a way to "eject" the pistol, byt pulling on the leather nub on the front of the holster?

Bart

Unread 11-12-2001, 09:09 PM   #2
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: Holster...

Bart; yes; this was used to get the pistol out fast. My Pecard also arrived today and I did the dozen or so holsters I have. Looks like we are running neck and neck. Keep in touch.

Lonnie

Unread 11-12-2001, 09:37 PM   #3
66mustang

Well, I didn't get my Pecard today! I am anxious to try it on my holster! I imagine I will get it in the next day or so.

Ed

Unread 11-13-2001, 08:47 AM   #4
dc8ray
User

So, are there different flavors of this Pecard stuff? If so, which one do you use for holsters? And a cheap place to order the stuff?

I'm just full of questions this morning.

Ray

Unread 11-13-2001, 11:15 AM   #5
66mustang

I went to their web site and ordered the one that dealt with leather type of material.

I've heard good things about it, and my holster needs something, that is for usre.

Not very cheap, not horrible, but not cheap,

Ed

Unread 11-13-2001, 12:17 PM   #6
Bart
User

Default Re: Holster Update...

Well, my holster doesn't look "old" anymore. The dried out light tan patina has turned into a darker, richer brown. Most of the Pecard from the first coat has soaked in with little or no "pooling". I have applied another light coat as per the instructions, and will again let it sit. The next step is to wipe off the excess and gently buff the exterior.

Initially, I had reservations about changing this piece of history, and devaluing (is that a word?) it's collectablility. And, now that I have changed the look of this 1914 holster, I asked myself if I was glad that I did it, or should I have left it alone, with it's "original" look.

I have rationalized my decision, by coming to the realization and conclusion that I have effectively added years to the life of it. Quite possibly, many more years than I will have to enjoy it. Going forward, hopefully others will enjoy it and it's rich history too. How can that be wrong?

Bart

Unread 11-13-2001, 12:32 PM   #7
Marvin
User

Bart,

Now that you have used the Pecards, do something else that will help the holster. Take a piece of acid free paper, or a small wrap of bubble wrap and place an approx. 1/4" dia roll under the top of the belt loop. This will keep the belt loop from being collapsed when stored. The little roll approximates the belt being in the loops and keep if from cracking at the top. Keep the holster in as controlled environment with low humidity as possible, keep it in a dark place. If you store the magazine and tool in the holster, use some RIG or other good oil on the parts, wrap them in Saran wrap loosly before putting them in the holster. Don't store them unwrapped in the holster, the acid in the leather may cause them to rust.

I use Lexol with good results on mine and wrap the mag & tool in Sarqan wrap with the littloe roll behind the belt loops and store them in the medium size FedEx boxes. This keeps them safe and so far, I have had no problems. At the price of holsters now, they must be taken care of.

Marvin

Unread 11-13-2001, 12:53 PM   #8
Bart
User

As always Marvin, I value your advice. Thanks a lot!

Bart

Unread 11-13-2001, 04:19 PM   #9
66mustang

Well UPS drove up at lunch and I already used the Pecards on my Arty holster. Followed the directions, well, as well as a guy can and put the goop everywhere. Mine is for Antique Leather, used my fingers and it is all 10 times better then it was. Was starting to have that almost cracked look to it.

Took before pictures, will post each on the forum in a couple of days. (Usually I forget to do the before pictures).

Marvin, great suggestion, printed it out and will do that, I noticed that the loops were totally collapsed.

Ed

Unread 11-13-2001, 04:43 PM   #10
Bart
User

I'll be posting before and after also, and look forward to everyones comments (good or bad). And just to confirm, I am using the Antique Pecard also, and I think Lonnie Z is using the same.

Bart

Unread 11-13-2001, 04:44 PM   #11
66mustang

Great, always nice to see others works in progress.

Ed

Unread 11-13-2001, 11:56 PM   #12
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

I finished all of mine with Pecard antique leather, and they turned out GREAT!! I do believe they would get to soft if you use to much.

Lonnie

Unread 11-14-2001, 07:07 AM   #13
Marvin
User

Lonnie,

This is one area that you must be very careful and NEVER use too much of the leather conditioners. Just a little goea a long way! If you put on too much, the leather will get soft and the value will be ruined. A small amount of Pecards will last a long time if the holster is kept in a dark place.

Marvin

Unread 11-14-2001, 02:42 PM   #14
66mustang

Default :D Holster Update...
Only one day so far, it looks really nice.

Also made a back of an old chair look nice and a horse collar and my cowboy boots!

Unread 11-15-2001, 07:09 AM   #15
Marvin
User

Default Re: :D Holster Update...
Don't let your wife know about this product or she will have you doling all her leather purses. My wife has me doing this to hers now that she know how good it makes them look, ha, ha, ha

Marvin