LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #21
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7373 View Post

Note from the photo that the chip on this grip is slightly different others I have seen. The back edge of the grip is not missing, but a piece off the top outside surface is chipped off.
This is missing 1 1/2 of the little diamond shaped pyramids of the checkered pattern. Tiy can see the diamond-shaped footprint where the complete point used to be, plus its neighbor in line, which was a partial one, interrupted by the edge of the grip.

It's sure a pain when this happens and it ruins the look of an otherwise--pristine, in your case--excellent grip.

Fixing this is no small challenge. Sometimes if it's a partial loss, just part of its tip, it can be blended in by running checkering cutters over the existing pattern to lower the surrounding peaks and define the blunt one a bit better. But the whole pyramid is gone, and judging by the way the panel is already recessed a bit in relation to the frame, I don't think there's enough meat there to accomplish this unobtrusively.

I'd rule out trying to replace that tiny piece with wood. Try a dab of stain where the raw wood is revealed. It will hide it at least enough to make a better first impression. If you need an actual diamond there, building up a few dots of tinted epoxy will give you some structure to cut down into shape.
Unread 01-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #22
eagle7373
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Fixing this is no small challenge. Sometimes if it's a partial loss, just part of its tip, it can be blended in by running checkering cutters over the existing pattern to lower the surrounding peaks and define the blunt one a bit better. But the whole pyramid is gone, and judging by the way the panel is already recessed a bit in relation to the frame, I don't think there's enough meat there to accomplish this unobtrusively.

I'd rule out trying to replace that tiny piece with wood. Try a dab of stain where the raw wood is revealed. It will hide it at least enough to make a better first impression. If you need an actual diamond there, building up a few dots of tinted epoxy will give you some structure to cut down into shape.
Thanks very much for your suggestion on how to dress this up. I'll see what I can do.
Unread 01-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #23
Geo99
User

DonVoigt said "If one so desires, the "chip" is easily repaired, with near un-detectable results by a couple members of this forum."

I find that it can be repaired only if you are willing to have the entire grip panel recheckered. At least that's what I was told last time I had it done. So if you have grips that are original and worn, what can be done to fix a chip so it's not noticable?

- Geo
Unread 01-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #24
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Geo-
Of course it depends on the overall condition of the grip.
I have had several repaired and the checkering of the repair piece blended into the original, these were "near or like new" grips.

Old worn grips do benefit from having the checkering "freshened up", but this is not necessarily the same as completely "re-checkered".

I would talk to Jim Solomon about the specific grip you have, I'm sure there is a happy "medium" result that would be better than the chip.

JMHO.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 01-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #25
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveski View Post
Well , I have but 1 luger at this point ... and I'd like to take it to the range.

Since starting this thread I did a close inspection of the area in question - I think I may have a repaired chip. Have a look ---
Try to get some VoPo grips and use them for shooting instead of the originals.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #26
Waveski
User

kurusu -

Good advice. As coincidence would have it I just pushed the button on a nice pair of VOPO grips earlier today .

Thank you.
Waveski is offline   Reply With Quote