LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 10-31-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
Kyrie
User

Exceptions:

Chamber pressure and velocity measurements are always done from a pressure test barrel. Such barrels are usually around ten inches in length.

Muzzle velocity and chamber pressures (note plural) are related, but the relationship is not linear. Trying to guess chamber pressures based on muzzle velocity is an unproductive effort.
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

firing that in a vintage Luger would be a very poor decision....may not hurt you, but could/would damage your weapon......this ammo is the same problem as in the m1 Garand world where the idiots want to shoot the modern 30.06 ammo in the ww2 weapons and it just tears up the operating rod on the recoil cycle..(the garand guys can change out the gas port and protect their weapons from that problem if they understand the problem)...but without modification to your Luger, and I don't know any, the pressures are just too great....
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to tomaustin for your post:
Unread 10-31-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie View Post
Exceptions:

Chamber pressure and velocity measurements are always done from a pressure test barrel. Such barrels are usually around ten inches in length.

Muzzle velocity and chamber pressures (note plural) are related, but the relationship is not linear. Trying to guess chamber pressures based on muzzle velocity is an unproductive effort.
Hi,

Respectfully, did you read my quote above? Velocity was tested from a 4 inch barrel, not a 10 inch one.

Yes, I agree that muzzle velocity and chamber pressure are related. With a Luger, chamber pressure should not be the real issue, breach block slam should be, however.

Again, use this ammo at your own risk in a Luger!

Sieger.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Kyrie
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

Respectfully, did you read my quote above? Velocity was tested from a 4 inch barrel, not a 10 inch one.

Yes, I agree that muzzle velocity and chamber pressure are related. With a Luger, chamber pressure should not be the real issue, breach block slam should be, however.

Again, use this ammo at your own risk in a Luger!

Sieger.
Yes sir, I read your post. Respectfully and with no offense intended, I just don't believe the source you quote is correct.

The source cited is a gun rag. Let's not get too excited over a source that publishes to sell advertisements.
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie View Post
Yes sir, I read your post. Respectfully and with no offense intended, I just don't believe the source you quote is correct.

The source cited is a gun rag. Let's not get too excited over a source that publishes to sell advertisements.
Hi,

We have been down this road many times before regarding NATO Ammo.

Your assertion regarding advertising sales is somewhat illogical to me; as who would they be advertising for, Winchester?

Again, SHOOT AT YOUR OWN RISK in a Luger pistol!

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 11-01-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I would add that if you do fire the ammo in your Luger that you give an accurate report on the results....if it damages your Luger, you must report that...no hiding in the woods to cover your ass....
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to tomaustin for your post: