LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Countryboy7477
New User

Default Just joined

Hello all, I am a member of Florida Carry, Florida concealed Carry forum, and NRA. I have been in Florida for a year and a half (Space Coast area), and was born/raised in Alabama. I have a 70 something year old buddy, from church, who joined one of my shooting classes. He said he had 7.65 German Luger that his dad owned and was passed down to him. The pistol was having some jamming issues. I told him to come by the house and I would take it down and clean it for him. It had a lot of old caked up grease and dirt in it. So after some cleaning and lubricating I reassembled the pistol. What a beautiful pistol with great engineering. My friend doesn't know much about Lugers, or pistols in general for that matter, but he is a great guy. My knowledge of the Luger only goes as far as break down and cleaning. His father passed when he was 3 months old, and this is the only thing he has that was his fathers.

He was wanting to find some info out about the pistol, so I am trying to help this guy out. Per the strawing on the trigger, magazine, and extractor bar, it leads me to believe it has pre 1937 date (is what I have been told on a Florida Concealed forum). It was the DWM engraving on top of the toggle, it has a "6845" stamp under the barrel on the trigger guard, the best I can remember. It had a "45" stamp on the back of the toggle and on another spot (I cant recall where at this time). I do recall seeing a "N" with a crown, above or below the "N", stamped on the pistol somewhere.
That's all the info I have at this point. I called him this morning and told him when he was out again to bring the pistol by so I could examine it with a magnifying glass and get more info on it.
So based off the little info I do have, is there any info you guys can share or give me ideas of what to look for so we can learn more about this pistol?
I did shoot the pistol at the range last night (one shot), it does feed and eject just fine now. Oh, it also had a what appears to be German style leather holster. I say that because I am 41 and have only seen photos of what these holster should look like, and it looks like a match for the pistol. But I could be wrong. Basically I need people, like you guys, who know so much about these pistols to share any info you can. This guy is very interested and I want him to know what his father passed down to him. Thanks for any help you can give
Countryboy7477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

welcome

photos would help very much, of the holster and the luger - markings, serial number, dates on it (if any, but I doubt it, thus at least most of the sn)

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Photos are very important for the forum members to really give you/your friend accurate complete information. The folks here are some of the best with regard to all lugers, and are more than willing to help others. Welcome to the forum.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
Countryboy7477
New User

The stampings on the pistol are the engraving on the toggle, 6845, and 45 stamped. I will get the fella back over to the house and take some photos and go over the pistol with a magnifying glass. I will upload the pics at that time and report what info I find. Thanks
Countryboy7477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

sounds good, the engraving is likely DWM but report back everything you can.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Stephen
First off welcome to this Forum, the, needless to add some close and detailed pictures would be absolutely useful not to "shot in the dark".

Rgds

Sergio
Unread 08-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

So far, what you have described sounds like a DWM Alphabet commercial Luger.

These were made between WW-I and WW-II from about 1920 through 1930. If there is a suffix letter under the serial number digits on the front of the frame above the trigger guard, that is part of the serial number and will help get closer to it's actual manufacture period.

These are very well made pistols. They don't have as much collector value as military guns, but (of course) this one is priceless to your friend...
Unread 09-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
4 Scale
User

As mrerick said it sure sounds like a commercial. These were imported into the US after WWII in good numbers and is probably the most common Luger generally found in the US. You might measure the barrel, if it is under 4" that is also further evidence (absent photos) that it is an alphabet commercial. Also check to see if there is a "Germany" stamp on the frame above the trigger guard, if no that helps the value a bit.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote