LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-15-2021, 02:32 PM   #21
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Those were the days ... and your right Ed, Radio shack did indeed have the right adapter ... I know because I bought one there years ago, its still around here somewhere !

In the meantime this one here should suit your needs.
https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/11067

Plug your headset into the inline jack on the lower left of this photo and the curly cord jack into your TV.
Depending on headset impedance you may need a readily available cheap pre-amp between the TV and the curly cord jack.

Good luck.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 07-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #22
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Back in the mid-80's the VA gave me two sets of CROS hearing aids. This was when I worked indoors for a couple hours then drove a truck with the door open (in all weather). You couldn't use them indoors if there were fluorescent lights because there was no radiation filtering. They just buzzed. They weren't much use outdoors because if there was wind/car air-flow, they'd whistle. But they're really great for watching TV!

...Until they're not...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #23
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangy View Post
In the meantime this one here should suit your needs.
https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/11067
Thank You! I may well try that! I have no idea what a pre-amp is and I found that routing the laptop headphone to the TV doesn't quite work...Way too subdued...I'll try that out!
Unread 07-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #24
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Disaster Strikes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Debby just bought a 55' at Walmart for $255 on sale!
https://www.walmart.com/browse/elect...489948_3168047
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
My nephew bought a 65" and told me he'd bring his 3-yr old 55" down to me when next he comes. I did see a 55" Sceptre on Wal-Mart site for $364 and I thought that was a deal.
Well, after using the big-screen LED TV my nephew dropped off some 6-8 weeks ago and loving it, this morning it failed to launch. I did what little trouble shooting I could and found that it was getting power to the input jack but then...nothing...

I had last watched a movie last night ("A Quiet Place") and shut it down afterward. No hint of a problem. It's an Olevia and the company is no longer in business and parts are, I'm sure, problematic, even if there was a repair shop around here. The last one closed up in Spring 2020.

I had just ordered that piggyback music adapter for my helicopter headphones.

So, undeterred, I took my ignorance in hand and headed to the Internet! To Wal-Mart Online, specifically. I decided to take Eric & Debbie's suggestion/hint and ordered a 55" Sceptre LED TV. (If you can't believe a lawyer, who can you believe???) The same $364 one I priced when Eric posted. It's not the 'smart' model, just the base 4K UHD LED TV. Should be here next week.

I have a Scepter 35" LED TV and like it. The picture is much sharper than my RCA LED 35" w/DVD player, and the sound is much better too. I have a DVI-to-HDMI adapter cable for my port replicator to TV connection, so I can play DVD movies on my laptop and watch the movies on my TV. Works great, although the audio leaves much to be desired (hard to fit BOSE quality in a laptop).

So now I'm waiting for the 55"er and watching the 35"er. I had "The Racers" (1955, Kirk Douglas, a classic) ready to watch but I'll wait for the 55" to arrive. Much more enjoyable on the big screen, I'm sure!

Thanks for the tip, Eric!

Last edited by sheepherder; 07-19-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Unread 07-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #25
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I got the adapter in the mail and FedEx delivered my new 55" TV, so I've been experimenting with various setups and have everything running nicely!

Right now I have a laptop hooked up to the TV via a DVI-to-HDMI cable (no HDMI on my Dell D630 laptops) and the helicopter headset connected to the laptop via the adapter cable. In the pic below I'm playing a short movie on the laptop and watching it on the big TV. Glorious!

A big Thanks! to spangy/Greg! The headset cable is a bit ungainly (no pun intended) but I can live with it. I don't expect to ever fly a UH1-E but I like to leave things intact so I'll refrain from clipping off the 'copter jack.

Eventually I'll move the laptop setup to the computer room so I can send images/movies right from the Internet to the 55" TV. Or DVD movies. Or YouTube. Or UConn Womens Basketball, streamed live.

Edit: For most TV series, sports, news, I'll run the 3.5mm TV headphone jack to a pair of PC speakers next to my couch. This TV has rearward-facing internal speakers which to me distorts the sound. The Avevia had forward-facing internal speakers which added to the overall width but sounded great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headphones.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	83744  

Last edited by sheepherder; 07-24-2021 at 11:08 AM.
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #26
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

'I like to leave things intact so I'll refrain from clipping off the 'copter jack.'

So glad everything worked out Richard and I totally agree with leaving the copter jack as is.
I look at it this way ... you wouldn't remove the barrel from a Luger simply because your not going to shoot it again ... similarly I wouldn't remove the jack on the headset adapter because I don't anticipate ever flying in a copter anytime soon.

I love your headset too ... it's an antique piece of kit that is collectable in its own right. Enjoy
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote