LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-19-2002, 10:49 PM   #1
Pete Ebbink
User

Post Internet Luger Buying...

Just thought I would share my "typical' series of questions I e-mail to the seller of any luger I might be interested on the Internet. This could also be used when considering a purchase from a dealer or a far-aawy gun shop.

Usually I get a great, detailed reply or I get no reply at all. In this case, no reply.

I learned this methodology from the Forum's Orv Reichert !!! (Thanks, Orv...)

If I do not get a reply, I can conclude that this luger is not for me...

Here is a sample of my questions :

1. Please state the condition of the bore. Please note if there is any pitting.

2. Please indicate if there is any rust or "freckles" on the luger's finish. Do not worry if there is; I was born in Indonesia, so do know how wet and humid the climate in the East Dutch Indies can be. I just want an honest assessment of what may not show on the photos.

3. Are the grips DWM/Vickers/Mauser originals, or do you think they were the grips made by Indonesian craftsmen ?

4. Can you send a photo to show the top of the toggle, am interested in seeing who's logo is on the top (Vickers, DWM, or Mauser).

5. Can you tell me the luger's serial number (e.g 75xxx) ? Just want a ball park range so I can figure out which contract and when it was made...

6. The big question : Do all parts match (excluding the magazine) ? If not. Please let me know what parts do not match the gun's serial number.

7. Is the finish original or a rework ? If original, any touch-up spots on the finish ?
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 09:33 AM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Talking

I would also ask if the gun was import marked and if there was a letter suffix "what is it?". Many times the seller doesn't know the alpha portion is part of the serial number. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote