LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 06-19-2002, 09:14 PM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Question Scrubbed proofs

Lots of Lugers, it seems, have their proof marks scrubbed off. The practice does not seem to be consistent; my byf 41 Black Widow has scrubbed WaffenAmps, at least on the receiver and breechblock--they missed the barrel; the S/42 G date I used to have was a Russian Dip with all the proofs scrubbed; my S/42 1936 has all proofs present (it is probably a vet bringback).

My question is, who scrubbed proof marks off of Lugers, and why? I have made a couple of guesses in the past, but I wonder if anyone has an authoritative answer?

And, what does the presence or scrubbed-ness of proofs tell us, if anything, about who might have re-worked a particular Luger, when, or where?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2002, 09:49 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Any country on the receiving end of the NSDAP attention would want all traces of that era obliterated. The arms were some of the best in the world at the time, many countries either gained independence or became communist using surplus German firearms. They were shipped all over the world at junk metal prices, given to any country by the communists with ammo and spare parts for the asking, and are still around today.
I know they were used in the 48 & 67 Israeli wars, markings were definitely removed there, used by everyone everywhere in Indochina, (French & Communist)all over central Europe,ect. These countries would want no reminder of the previous owners, especially Russia.Also these weapons were taken and refinished with use intent in mind, not to be collected. A bring back probably would have all marks intact. A reworked gun will be altered.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote