LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 10-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
Maestro
User

Thumbs up Gomann-Grunow Telescoping Stock

here's a rare Stock I wanted to share with everyone that may not have seen it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	telescoping stock.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	36980  

Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Maestro for your post:
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Maestro
User

Apparently one of three known to exist

Quote:
There are only a couple now known to exist today. This example was purchased from an American auction a few years back by Dr. Sturgess. Another example was sold by that same auction house a couple of years ago and a third example is in a notable foreign collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	36979  

The following member says Thank You to Maestro for your post:
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

This item was pulled from the recent Julia auction of the Sturgess collection until they can get a determination from BATF that it is legal.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

If they were selling the item as it is shown above... they will wait a LONG time for BATFE approval.

This stock is OBVIOUSLY NOT a vintage item... and does not belong on a military artillery Luger. It is a novelty item made up by some gunsmith/machinist for a Luger owner who didn't know any better. It would be a good prop in a movie.

If you want to shoot with this stock (or a stock like it) attached to a Luger (and you live in the USA), you will have to pay the $200 tax to the BATFE ahead of time for construction of a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) as defined in the National Firearms Act of 1934. It would be a good prop in a movie, but not on the range without the tax stamp.

This is just my opinion, but after 50 years of looking at and studying Lugers and their accessories... dealing with ATF, and being a former gunsmith and hobby home machinist, I would bet money on my thesis...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

John,

I might take you up on that bet. I was the one that alerted Julia Auctions to seek BATFE exception prior to offering the stock for sale. It is a vintage item, manufactured by a known firm, not a gunsmith one-off creation. There are at least 3 known examples, one of which was actually sold at auction in the US a few years back...it evidently did not make it on to the ATF radar!

I rather expect that it will receive BATFE approval in a relatively short time. Its rarity and value places it in the same category as the Benke-Thiemann stock. The B-T stock is also not a military accessory, both stocks are commercial items probably created in hopes of military adoption which never materialized.

The reason to petition the BATFE for exemption from the NFA is to remove it from the category of short barreled rifle and thereby make it accessable to collectors for legal ownership without the $200 tax stamp.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Ron, thanks for the education. Your knowledge in this matter is greatly appreciated.

I am aware of the Benke-Thiemann stock, and know one of the owners of it (he sports a grey beard )... but have never seen such an example as this one. I hope the purchaser of the one sold at auction "a few years back" that missed ATF scrutiny... registered it upon acquisition...

If you are in the knowledge loop, please let us all know the outcome of the petition to make it C&R when and if it happens.

My question would be, what Luger would this stock be associated with for exemption from the NFA, and inclusion on the C&R list? The stock would not be in violation of the NFA by itself, and the gun it is attached to in the photo appears to be a standard WW1 DWM Artillery Luger. Then there would be a question on whether or not reproductions of this stock would be permissible with the associated model Luger... or any Luger?

Boggles the mind how this will be resolved.

thanks again Ron,

-John

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I rather expect that it will receive BATFE approval in a relatively short time. Being a complete bonehead..I would have to wonder why anyone at ATF would care one way or the other? For so few stocks..A giant buracracy is going to change C&R regs for 3 known stocks? Seems implausable at best...

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

At the time the Benke-Thiemann stock was exempted there were less than a half-dozen examples known, so it is no stretch to think the C&R regs will be changed for this stock.

It is the same process that occurred for the Navy, LP08, Ideal and B-T stocks...someone had to petition the BATFE to have them exempted so that collectors could have them.

Obviously someone at the ATF cares one way or another. Luger stocks are not the only items that come under BATFE regs. There are literally hundreds of guns, to include a ton of short barreled Winchesters, that had to be petitioned for exemption and are listed in detail (by serial number!) in ATF Publication 5300-11 last published in 2007 and with various revisions thru 2010. That "giant bureaucracy" is alive and well and involved in the regulation of C&R firearms. Believe it.
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post

My question would be, what Luger would this stock be associated with for exemption from the NFA, and inclusion on the C&R list? The stock would not be in violation of the NFA by itself, and the gun it is attached to in the photo appears to be a standard WW1 DWM Artillery Luger. Then there would be a question on whether or not reproductions of this stock would be permissible with the associated model Luger... or any Luger?

-John
John,
I suspect that a Luger associated with this stock would be vague as to model. The wording for the B-T stock simply states "various Lugers". The G-G stock was not made for a specific model Luger and the LP-08 in the auction is a parts gun that simply serves as a platform to mount the stock.

P.S. I have heard that the G-G stock that sold a few years back went to Europe, so no registration involved.
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

OK! I believe if you believe! It's a cool stock..riddle me this then..IF this stock is approved would reproductions be allowed like repro Artillery & Navy?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Riddle answer...Only if someone petitioned the BATFE to exclude them also. The exclusion of the reproduction Artillery and Navy stocks came about only because Odin specifically requested the exclusion and BATFE granted it. And BATFE might or might not similarly grant an exclusion for a repro G-G stock, who knows?
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
Maestro
User

does anyone know what the estimated value of this stock was before it was pulled? or what the previous one sold for?
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
I rather expect that it will receive BATFE approval in a relatively short time. Being a complete bonehead..I would have to wonder why anyone at ATF would care one way or the other? For so few stocks..A giant buracracy is going to change C&R regs for 3 known stocks? Seems implausable at best...
Jerry, if you read through the C&R List, there are a number of INDIVIDUAL weapons, (by model, serial number, description), which are on there. If you came across an unusual or historic weapon, (even being once owned by a celebrity could potentially quality), the ATF will consider it for inclusion on the C&R List. There are no hard rules for C&R qualification. You simply have to contact them with the firearm or accessories description and why you think it qualifies and ATF will make a ruling.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alanint for your post: