LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 06-18-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
Post Serial Number look up website

Springfield Research Service
U.S. Martial Arms Serial Number Data
http://www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm

Although it does not cover any guns I own, I thought this site was very interesting, here is info on Luger Pistols
Serial number range 6761 - 22433

http://armscollectors.com/srs/lookup_luger.php

As an example I did a search for a test Luger and serial numbers in their data base came up with this:

6761 - - 060103 - TRP B 6TH CAV -
7019 - - 020828 - OO (STOLEN) -
22433 - - 080610 - POWELL CTGE INDICATING DEVICE -

So, where is # 7019!!!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 01:46 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts
I don't know, but it falls in the range of serial numbers I have been tracking and I don't have it on my list. Guess I will have to add it even if it has been stolen.

I think those are the only 3 Luger serial numbers they have in their database. If you put in any number within the range 6761-22433, you get the same three examples.
Unread 06-18-2003, 02:04 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
So you have 6761 in your records already?

And the 2nd set of numbers is the date it was "reported"....

That date is well after the Bannerman sale isn't it?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 03:45 AM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts
I have no idea what the second set of numbers represent...it seems odd that 7019 would have been reported as stolen in 1910, but I guess it could have happened.

Actually, I don't have 6761 in my records, I have 6760 and 6762. However, there is something strange about that entry too. People have searched the Army archives (Michael Reese and Scott Meadows to name two)and only 9 recorded 1900 Test Luger serial numbers can be found in the official records and correspondence...and 6761 isn't one of them. The only 1900 Test Lugers that can be linked to a specific unit are those listed in correspondence from 2nd Lt. Orlando G. Palmer of the 7th Cavalry, Cuba...NOT Troop B of the 6th Cavalry. Interestingly enough, one of the Lugers reported by Lt. Palmer was 6167, so maybe Springfield transposed the numbers, but the unit is still wrong.

I think that Springfield's data base is a work in progress, with much more accurate data being available for the more common types of US military arms. At a minimum, you would think they would have included the Test Lugers sold to Francis Bannerman in their lookup table, since the numbers are listed in another location on their website. The Luger data is sketchy and, I believe, based on less than hard documentation and facts. It is this same website that lists the serial number range of the US Test Lugers as being from 5800 to 7800. These numbers have not been substantiated by any historical records that I know of and have not appeared in any other document or publication that I have read. When I asked a representative from Springfield about the origin of this range, he could not provide a reference but he is a nice guy and said he would try to locate it. On two subsequent calls, the reference still has not been found and it was alluded that perhaps a "Luger authoriy" had told them that information. A name was mentioned, but he was not certain of that either, so I will not pass it on.

I am not putting down Springfield's herculean effort to catalog and document US military arms. For a large part they have done a tremendious job. But don't take their Luger data to the bank.