LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 10-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Stevie
User

Default Shooter grade LP08

I bought a somewhat rare S&W revolver from a gunstore that mainly sells higher grade shotguns and hunting rifles.

Anyhow..in the case with my Smith was a LP08 for $1100...just the pistol and an 8 shot mag..no rig(I don't think).

I really didn't look at the pistol..but have it in my mind to be a DWM..probably refinished...maybe not

I believe I can tell a genuine LP08 from a built up from a P08 version...I can tell if it's been refinished I'm fairly certain.. But have no idea what a shooter grade or otherwise LP08 might be worth.

A guesstimate to what an LP08 is worth refinished?

Same for a unrefinished nice shape one?

Any particular year models/makers worth more than others?

Basicaly I need a modest LP08 education before I bee-bop back to the fancy shotgun store with $1000 in hand.

These jokers at the gunstore know me...if I examine something..and then come back..often they won't deal..If I just walk in..stumble around finding nothing to buy..and happen to pickup the LP08 and shoot an offer..they will likely take it.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

$1100 seems pretty reasonable for an LP08 shooter, which is what I have to assume we have here without verification that the numbers match, the finish is original, and it is otherwise not molested.
Will they let you buy it on a 3 day inspection? If not will they completely disassemble it to determine if it is matching? Let you take lots of photos?
My thoughts are if it checks out and you want one, why not? If it doesn't have huge flaws you should not get hurt on the deal.
And Artillery Lugers are sweet to shoot...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

I'm just a dumb hick, but to me, even a mismatched built-up from a P08 artillery is worth a grand...

Now refinished...that's a nother bundle of fish...

Re-blued with no buffing...Good...Buffed all to snot...Bad...(Bad is not worth a grand)...

...To me...Others may differ...

...$.02...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Stevie
User

Hmmm..I don't think it's over-buffed...although I do expect it's refinished. It would be priced higher if it wasn't refinished..and it wouldn't be for sale if it was broken. Cannot speak for mismatched...my Lugers are all mis-matched anyhow.

I'll have to go take a look at it when I get cash in hand...which may be a couple weeks...I just bought a bunch of stuff, all guns or shooting/reloading related that killed my spare money.

I figure the Luger will set in the show case..anybody that goes to this store goes for shotguns or rifles..just ain't many milsurp collectors around here.

Did Erfurt only make the LP08 one or two years?
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
I'll have to go take a look at it when I get cash in hand...which may be a couple weeks...
I'll bet a Kit Kat bar it's gone...

What 'somewhat rare S&W revolver' did you buy??? I've kinda been on the lookout for a 3" or 4" barreled 44 Special S&W revolver...Hard to find...
Unread 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

I have always been able to sell an artillery for around a $1,000 whether buffed and reblued or just mismatched. The less it is mismatched and less buffed you can get a bit more for it.

An all matching, if reblued is still the same as above....

An all matching in decent shape you start shooting up to $1400-$1600 and they just go up from there.

Most common years you see are 1917, 1918 DWM's and 1914 Erfurts. 1914 DWM's are VERY scarce and worth big bucks.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Stevie
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I'll bet a Kit Kat bar it's gone...

What 'somewhat rare S&W revolver' did you buy??? I've kinda been on the lookout for a 3" or 4" barreled 44 Special S&W revolver...Hard to find...
Uhmm..A Model 16-4 4" .32 mag

I own a 3" 625..but it's a .45acp. What particular model S&W .44 special..I'll keep an eye out.

Sort of hope the LP08 sets...but it may sell..I should've taken a closer look the day I bought the Smith...and likely would have if it had been a P08...but I only had X-number dollars in my wallet..and really didn't want to get myself all worked up..or let the shop's owner know I was particularly interested.
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I've kinda been on the lookout for a 3" or 4" barreled 44 Special S&W revolver...Hard to find...

Which one are you looking for....a S&W 696 is what I "think" that you are describing with a 3in bbl. They are great revolvers. I own one, and it is one of my favorite handguns. I reload for it, so I can load mild to wild.

I occasionally see a S&W Mod. 25 with a 3in bbl, but they are quite rare, and pricey.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
24 or 624
24-3 "Lew Horton Special" was my original lust [1985 issue...was it really that long ago???]...but that's an N frame (as is the 624, I believe)...the 696 L frame sounds good...I'm not fond of 5-shooters, but if I could find a 696 or 696-1 with the square butt grips, I'd go for that...

The Lew Horton's have become collectors items...I'm not interested in collecting it...I want to shoot it...
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Stevie -

If you could get that LP08 for the $1100 and didn't like it, you could probably part it out and get your money back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
I kinda enjoy the N frames, still have the fondness for them.
I still have my S&W N-frame .357...just don't shoot it as often...

Quote:
One still sees the LH specials and Bulldogs on occasion in the shops.
Back in the day, some company converted S&W K-frame 357 mags to a 5-shot 44 Special...Cylinder was unfluted...Short barrel...I'd like to get one of those, but can't recall who did the conversion...I have a Model 15 in 38 Special and like it...
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Stevie
User

I went and checked..and yes..the LP08 is still there...It is mismatched..looked to be a genuine artillery top end on a different frame..DWM 1917..reblued..re-strawed..decent enough looking..$1095. Although not a perfect job..the re-straw was a bit funky looking...shiney..reminded me of anodizing...one of the grips was a bit loose but not too bad in the grip department...I believe the frame to be DWM too.

The bore was dirty..literaly..but appeared good enough for a shooter...might be a very good bore...I decided not to buy it.

If anybody is interested in it..PM me and I will hook you up with the stores info.