LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-16-2001, 11:07 AM   #1
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Slightly off topic P-38 grip restoral

I have a set of P-38 grips that at some point got painted with black enamel. They appear to be dark bakelite underneath the paint. can anyone recommend the best way to remove the paint without damaging the bakelite?

Thanks,

John

Unread 02-16-2001, 03:52 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Slightly off topic P-38 grip restoral

John,

You are correc that the material is Bakelite and it has wood fibre chips in the plastic. Bakelite is a very hard material but if you use a harsh chemical to remove the paint, it may dull the Bakelite.

I would recommend that you try some Acetone, rub it on the paint and wipe it off quickly. After the paint is removed, use some plastic polish to brighten up the surface again. I use the plastic polish for the plastic rear windows in a convertable. It is very mild, but will brighten up the plastic.

Use just enough Acetone to remove the paint and wipe off quick. Good Luck and maybe someone else has a better answer.

Marvin

Unread 02-17-2001, 02:42 PM   #3
RET
User

Default Slightly off topic P-38 grip restoral

I agree completely with Marvin on the technique and cautions: be careful and quick.

You might want to try solvents other than acetone to find one that is the most effective (i.e. affects the paint more than the bakelite).

Try a little solvent on the back of the grip (where any problems will not later show) before using it on the paint. It is unlikely, but the last thing you want is to find that your chosen solvent destroys the bakelite but leaves the paint....

Best regards,

Bob

Unread 02-17-2001, 07:49 PM   #4
Marvin
User

Default Re: Slightly off topic P-38 grip restoral

Bob,

Great idea to test on the back first. One good thing about the Bakelite is that it has the "hard" surface finish which is shiny. Chemicals can attack it and leave it with a dull finish.

If you get the paint off and there is no probelm with the finish, please let us know what you used to remove it.

Marvin