LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-30-2001, 05:31 PM   #1
jim haycraft
User

Default Luger Serial Number, etc.

I have a Mauser (code 42) Luger, manufactured in 1940. I acquired it in the late 1940s from a neighbor in Philadelphia, who brought it back from Europe (Austria) after the end of WWII. The pistol was in generally good or better condition, with some blueing wear; the bore showed some evidence of slight pitting. It was fitted with the original wooden hand grips and the typical leather Luger holster, with loading tool and a spare magazine. All of the major parts are stamped with the identical number (5) and I assume it was not manufactured from various spare parts. On the right side of the receiver, there are 3 stamped markings; what appear to be 3 parallel bars, with the number "655" beneath, an identical marking forward of that marking, and an eagle & swastika. A smaller version of the eagle and swastika is stamped on the right side of the barrel. On the forward end of the main frame, beneath the number "5," is a lower case script "a."

Despite occasional, but continuing examination over the years, I cannot find what I would consider a proper serial number on this weapon! One of the magazines included with the pistol, has the 3-bar symbol and the number "655" stamped into the aluminum floorplate or base, along with the number "1291" and the lower case script "a." The other magazine has the 3-bar symbol, with the number "37," along with the number "8611" and the lower case script "a." Although the magazines are basically identical and function properly, the second magazine described has some different contstruction features, namely evidence of considerable machining (the other mag appears to be mostly stampings), and the aluminum floorplate is pinned through the center.

I foolishly had the pistol re-blued many years ago and replaced the wooden grips with plastic "Franzite" grips, which rather spoils its collector value. It has not been fired very often through the years; perhaps several hundred rounds, including some original cartridges from WWI! Can anyone explain what apparently is the omission of a serial number or any other pertinent information about this particular pistol, which I cherish as the first handgun I ever owned? Any help will be much appreciated.

Unread 11-30-2001, 05:50 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Luger Serial Number, etc.

The full serial number will be found on the front of the frame and will probably have a lower case letter under it. The serial number will also be repeated on the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the receiver, and on the front left side of the receiver. The small parts should all have the last two digits of the serial number on them. The Eagle/655 is the acceptance stamp. The Eagle/Swastika is the firing proof.

If the 5 you indicate on the forward part of the frame is found on the bottom of the barrel and the left side of the receiver, your pistols serial number is 5a. This would make it the 5th pistol made in the a suffix block. Military pistols were manufactured in blocks of 10,000 and at the end of each block the serial number was started over with the next letter suffix.

The magazines appear to be mis-matched to your pistol.

Unread 12-01-2001, 10:13 AM   #3
tom h

Jim, To fully describe your pistol all of the following is required: 1940/42 (Mauser) PO8 (incidcates military issue with 4"x9mm barrel) s/n 5a. Since the serialization of the 1940/42 code started at about 7700z (according to Still's "Third Reich Lugers") your PO8 was about the 10,305th one made by Mauser in 1940 (300 more in z block, 10,000 in no suffix block and 4 before yours in the a suffix block). Many collectors prize these single digit PO8s regardless of the suffix letter. Too bad that it's been reblue, but perhaps Thor can bring it back to near original finish. Tom h

Unread 12-01-2001, 04:30 PM   #4
jim haycraft
User

Hello Tom H.

Thanks for your response to my query and the interesting additional information. I must admit that I had a number of WWII German handguns re-blued way back when, before I realized that collectors would eventually prize the original finish. I was more interested, at that time, in having a good-looking weapon! Nevertheless, I recently sold a late-war P-38 (mfg. by Mauser) and an FN Browning M1935 Hi-Power (with German proof marks) for a good profit. As this P08 is the first handgun I acquired, I'll hang on to it for awhile!