LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Danielharp44022
User

Default 1917 DWM deal done thanks

First of all thanks to all for their comments. The deal is done and this Christmas My son will be the most surprised 1917 DWM Luger owner around.

My wife's client, the owner of the gun, was here today and I shared with her your many comments along with some auctions I found on the Internet that were examples of high and low asking prices. When this all began neither of us had any idea that Lugers could command such high prices or that those values were dependent of such things as tiny parts unseen with numbers was a determining factor. I wanted to be fair to both of us in at least knowing the value could be higher or lower than we were aware of. She noted Ed's suggestion (thanks Ed) that I offer $800.00 then said she wished to reduce the figure to one half.

When she left I ventured taking the gun apart using the instructions on the site and found the hold back pin intact and correctly numbered. I put the gun together and it still doesn't hold back with the matching clip (as seen in pictures there is a flat spot on the button) but I can get it to work if I bump the bottom of the spare mag with my knee while holding the action open but it takes a couple of bumps before the pin catches.

This gun, like my father's collection, is not intended for resale so I will profit only in the fact that I have a fine representation of a DWM 1917 Luger. Since we won't be shooting it, the situation now begs finding a shooter to have fun with.

Looking forward to more shared knowledge from you all.

Thanks,

Daniel
Danielharp44022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Daniel,

I'm very glad to hear that it worked out to everyone's satisfaction. I'm also glad to know that the holdopen is there and properly numbered. Considering that this is a collection piece and not for shooting, its failure to hold open properly is of no consequence to the gun's value.

Its true, owning one Luger begs having another. When you have one to shoot you will find that Lugers are great fun, spectacularly accurate, and never fail to draw attention at the shooting range.

Congratulatins to your son at Christmas time, and when he finally gets it please pass along all of our good wishes.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Daniel, that is excellent!

Congrats, sharing the postings with her was great, as she saw our comments and could decide for herself. Sounds like a heck of a good client to keep!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote