LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-30-2002, 12:15 PM   #1
bill m
User

Default Black Widow Saga

This topic has been discussed repeatedly, with disagreement as to which variations are correct. Here is a summary of my opinions:

A large Mauser collector who has done a lot or magazine research and Mauser research says he nows of directive's stating:

Original design was submitted on February 29th, 1939. Approval and authorization for production was recieved on June 27th, 1939. The first grips submitted for test on December 1st, 1939. And approval as factory standard parts happened June 20th of 1941 -- which would be roughly the "t" or "u" block.

I have never seen these directives, but my understanding is that they were found after some of the books were published.

If you go by data sheets and serial numbers of original two matching magazine Lugers, you just do not find any 1939, 1940, 41/42's or early byf 41's with black plastic grips and two matching magazines. Why is this? All have wood grips. The guns you see with the black plastic grips are never a complete rig, or not that I am aware of anyway. The 1940/42 production was about 135,000, so there are bound to be plenty of rigs out there if these grips were used. The byf 41's had all matching magazines up through the U block, how come you do not find complete byf's with 2 matching magazines below this with black plastic grips. Sure, you find Lugers this way, but not complete rigs. Another question is why do you not see lots of 1940/42's in 85% condition with Black plastic grips? The ones you find these grips on are always in really nice condition, usually with no matching magazines. All of the variations had matching numbered magazine up through the "u" block of the byf 41's.

The June of 1941 seems like the most logical answer to me, from looking at serial numbers and data sheets, and actual complete as issued rigs. I feel any Luger with black plastic grips before the "T" block of the byf 41 production indicates that they have been changed, or are replacements. After the "T" block of the byf 41's you will find two matching magazine guns with black plastic grips, that I feel were original issue.

Also, the black plastic magazine base design was submitted on February 29th, 1940, which means it probably did not go into production and issue until about the June of 1941 date also. --

So, this should really confuse everyone! I'm sure there will always be some disagreement on this subject.

Unread 03-30-2002, 01:52 PM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default No Argument from me!! :) (EOM)

Unread 03-30-2002, 02:54 PM   #3
Luke
User

Default Good post, Bill. (EOM)