LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
padredan
User

I agree with bill, it,s a shooter enjoy it. you did a pretty good job nothing to be ashamed of. I assure you i have seen alot worse.
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
Terry Tiell
User

Thanks guys I was afraid I screwed up. I knew this thing was bad off and am just thrilled I have it to where it is right now. It shoots REAL GOOD, didn't jam after 100 rounds, and has a great grouping. I just need to have its finish match its performance.
Terry Tiell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
padredan
User

Shoots good and no jams in 100 round s you got yourself a good one, enjoy it
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
Terry Tiell
User

Thanks Padredan. I've been told Luger's are prone to jamming but so far I haven't had any problems with it sine polishing everything up real good.
Unread 06-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padredan View Post
I agree with bill, it,s a shooter enjoy it. you did a pretty good job nothing to be ashamed of.
+1

Though sandblasting it would not have been my particular choice, I agree with Bill and Dan that it's your heritage. By all means, enjoy this pistol and working with it. Although I understand the aesthetics of preserving it as it was when your dad last touched it, I see honor and merit in finishing it up according to his aforementioned intentions. He'd be proud, I'll bet, of your taking up the standard, staying on the road despite some serious learning curves, and having and using something that he apparently always recognized the inner beauty in--beauty that you will have successfully revealed.

Be sure to consider every move on the path you take. For example, freshening up a pair of old original grips removes the character that took many years and different situations to establish during the life of the pistol, and there's no going back, on some of this stuff. Keep the old grips in a safe place, as part of the pistol's provenance, whether it's strictly collectible or not. I feel they're still part of it, and definitely a conversation piece. Dress it up in those nice replacements for enjoying and shooting, but hang onto the oldies, as they represent, in part, the pistol's roots and history.

I'm not sure if what Eric says about the pros is true. You'd have to ask each individual pro would say about your project. I've always found them to be genuinely and generously informative and supportive in similar situations. Whether they would turn down projects within their specialties, I'd bet, would depend on the particular project. A further wager would be that you'd really have to be an (*) for any of the masters on this forum to wash their hands of you or your project. So far, my friend, you do not sound like one!

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to ithacaartist for your post:
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #26
Terry Tiell
User

Thank you David for your kind words and encouragement. I still have all the old original parts I've replaced I have thrown nothing away and will never throw any parts of it away. I have all the original springs in a small zip lock bag with Ballistol oil sprayed all over them. The original barrel and upper after I removed all the crud from it I GENTLY polished it in an attempt to try to re-use it (sadly Thor told me it was too far gone to try to restore which is why I went out and got a new barrel and upper). The original barrel and "G" upper are also in their own zip lock bag again well coated with Ballistol oil. The original grips and grip screws are in yet another zip lock bag and then all 3 small bags are kept in one large zip lock back, placed in a small wooden box similer to a cigar box and put up on the very top shelf in my garage about 9 feet off the ground.

What I could save I have, what was beyond saving I replaced and kept the original parts. I may be a "newb" when it comes to the world of Lugers but I'm sure trying to do my best with what was a paper weight.
The following member says Thank You to Terry Tiell for your post:
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #27
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree with Wylon 100%. First of all, it is hard(for me at least) to love a Luger in the shape that yours was when you received it. It was terrible!! I understand the problem with funds for a "mantle piece", plus I am a shooter, not a collector. that is how I enjoy my Lugers. I, myself, enjoy working on firearms, but I know my limits. As far as metal working, you should do what you feel capable of doing, and then if you want help/assistance with additional metal work and/or refinishing, then send it to whoever you want. Your father wanted to "spiffy" up this old Luger, and I think that he would be very proud of your efforts!! You do what YOU feel is correct for you and your Luger, not what some person thinks that you have never met, and most likely never will do so. My .02.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #28
Douglas Jr.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Tiell View Post

What I could save I have, what was beyond saving I replaced and kept the original parts. I may be a "newb" when it comes to the world of Lugers but I'm sure trying to do my best with what was a paper weight.
I think you did fine. The pistol was about to become a relic and now it is a shooter. You did everythig by your own and I really admire that. Congratulations and enjoy your pistol. I'm sure it will attract a lot of attention at the range.

Greetings,

Douglas
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Douglas Jr. for your post:
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
Terry Tiell
User

Thank you Douglas.

Yeah It already has attracted people to it at the range, I had one guy beg me to just hold it as he had never seen a Luger in person before. I dropped the magazine out made sure it was clear and handed it to him. As he examined it I loaded 8 rounds into the magazine and handed it to him you should have seen his face light up he asked if I was serious and that he could fire it I told him yes and he loaded it and took his time with every shot. When he was done and set it down he had the biggest grin on his face and thanked me for fulfilling a boyhood dream of his to actually shoot a real German Luger.
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #30
Douglas Jr.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Tiell View Post
When he was done and set it down he had the biggest grin on his face and thanked me for fulfilling a boyhood dream of his to actually shoot a real German Luger.
And I guess you had a nice time doing this too...
There 's no money that can pay such gratifying moments. You put a smile in MY face just by reading this.
You're a nice guy and you are happy with your pistol. That's all that matters at the end of the day.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Douglas Jr. for your post: