LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 10-30-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
smitty
User

Post 1st Luger

Hello everyone, Im new to this board and to Lugers. I aquired a 1918 erfurt in probably 90%. However I know nothing about these guns and would like to find a good resource [besides this site] to find out more about them. Im at work now and cant remember the exact markings on the front strap I believe it starts with a 68 but Ill post the exact markings later when I get home. Also the last 2 #s of the sn# are stamped allover the gun. Im also curious about the gold colored parts of the gun. Ive never handled one of these guns but I must say what a sweet piece these are and I cant wait to learn more. Any comments much appreiciated. Also looking for field stripping info? Thanx!
smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
When you say gold colored, I am guessing either the "strawing" of certain parts or letters filled in, more than likely the first one.

Read more on this forum, read the various postings, do a search of 1918 DWM and you'll find lots of neat stuff!

Also, there are several recommendations for books, the best to me is Jan C. Stills Imperial Lugers. Try to buy it and you'll be pleased, but there are lots of books out there, and you can find postings here about them.

WELCOME to the forum!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2004, 01:35 PM   #3
policeluger
RIP

smitty, I live in the high desert area, north of Lancaster, see if your near me, perhaps we can go over it. There are a host of book available on the Luger, try Walters "Lugers", pictures will help here, to field strip, remove mag and clear chamber, pull barrel/reciever back until you can rotate take down lever clockwise, down to about the 6:00 position, side plate should come off and top end of Luger will pull forward, however putting it back is a little tricky a first, you must invert gun, until coulping link, that "S" shaped thingy hanging down from end of reciever group, and allow it to catch on the claws of the recoil spring lever....just take it apart slowly, study the parts and it will work out....we are just a click or a phone call away, don't over stress.....front strap marking are of real interest here, for me if its a poilce gun...hope we can help and welcome to LF
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
DougT
User

Policeluger, I live in Castaic. Lets get together!
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
DougT
User

Smitty, my first Luger book was "Luger Tips" by Reese. It jumps you into the general history and basic knowledge of the guns very quickly. The Luger "Bible" is the book "Lugers at Random" by Kenyon, and you should plan to get a copy of this no matter what. My Luger library is up to 11 books so far, with more on the way. The story never ends with these guns. Welcome to the club.
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote