LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 10-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Default Is it the last Mauser?

Dear Friends,
We have already discussed in another topic the P08 and LP08 made by Mauser from June 1945 until the end of 1946 (but most probably also for part of 1947):

see http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...threadid=18807

I am really fascinating by this production that represents the last one before the company destruction. Five different variations have been reported so far. My favorite is the second variation, the one with the star before the serial number.

In the picture #1 the P08 (#367) and LP08 (#456) second variation. They are both in new condition.

Few months ago, I have found in France another LP08 made under French control. This LP08 is not in mint condition like the other two but it is a collectible specimen indeed (pictures 2 and 3).

This LP08 is the second pistol reported in the fifth variation. This production has been either done in the last days of Mauser or when already in France; the fact that the serial number doesnâ??t follow the rules used by Mauser for the four previous variations could justify that this last variation has been assembled in the Manufacture d'armes de Chatellereault - MAC where the French moved all the P38, P08 and LP08 spare parts from Oberndorf.

The serial number of this LP08 is #3334, the other pistol is numbered #3330. For sure, I cannot state that it is the last Parabellum produced (although in the last 10 years no higher serial number than 3330 have been reported) before destroying the company but it is the highest number reported so far.

This pistol goes together with a couple of spare aluminum grips and magazine bottom. These accessories are French made and were used as spare parts when the original grips and bottom broken. The French for a while used aluminum grips also for the French P38.

Another interesting find is related to the holster. Up to now, I was convinced, based upon the iconography of the Indochina war, that the French reused, for the P08, holster originally made for other pistols or made on demand.
Now, the LP08 holster I have received with the #3334 is equal to the one that goes with my P08 second variation, unless the length for sure. This is really a good news because demonstrates that there was, although limited, the production of a specific holster for P08 and LP08.

More pictures and descriptions are available in my web site, have a lookâ?¦

Enjoy the picturesâ?¦

Mauro

The following 2 members says Thank You to mauro for your post:
Unread 10-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Mauro,

awesome stuff !!!

congratulations on your find and thanks for sharing