LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-13-2001, 06:47 PM   #1
Darell

Default Luger Magazine Disassembly

Is it possible to disassemble the Luger magazine for cleaning. If not, what is the proper cleaning procedure?

Unread 02-13-2001, 09:29 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Re: Luger Magazine Disassembly

Hello Darell, Luger magazine disassembly is one of those double edged deals....It depends on a couple of factors you should weigh before you jump in! First, if the mag. is an excellent condition original, or one that is assembled with a rivet through the center of the mag. bottom, no attempt should be made to disassemble it! clean it as best as you can with a gun cloth, and compressed air. If the mag. exhibits considerable wear, or it is an after market repro. then you shouldn't have to much to worry about as far devaluation. taking them apart ( only taking out the bottom piece) is easy, the best way, is to make a fixture to support the tube of the mag. properly, then using the correct size pin punch, drive, or press (better) the pins out! It just seems that they get a lot of extra rash on them during these little cleaning outings! Even if they are after market,I would probably would only take it apart to effect a repair......If it ain't broke, etc, etc......till...later...G.T.

Unread 02-14-2001, 02:05 AM   #3
Darell

Default Re: Luger Magazine Disassembly

Thanks, the old air compressor worked great. The magazines are clean enough to go another 60+ years. It also worked great on the inside of my holster!