LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 12-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Reproduction & original Luger Drum repair!

Hello, well, it's been a'while since my last report, but I will see if I can bring you all up to speed on what's happening on the Numrich reproduction drum up-grade effort... As I have been leaning on forum member Don Voigt for the last 5 months for advice and testing, I'm sure he will add to this thread and enlighten all to his experiences, as well as mine, as there was no stone left unturned by either of us!!! And I mean NO STONE UNTURNED! And as of this last week, we have submitted out efforts to Numrich Arms to see if an up-grade is both financially practical and viable on a fairly large scale. Numrich Arms has been very helpful and supportive to the effort we have made, and I believe good things are going to be a result of our combined effort... For a big corporation, they are great people, and I have enjoyed the interaction thus far...
Anyway, the up-grade consists of several adjustments, a mainspring replacement (Who would have thunk it! ) some welding and machining, along with a torque test for component failure and a few other modifications we have yet to decide on, as to their overall merit to the end result.... Our goal is/was 100% function! As well as durability! We have achieved that on dedicated test Lugers. The problem is the Luger pistol itself, presents many of the test failures because of it's different states of condition... So, it is our goal to present the best unit possible with all the necessary improvement to give the owner that 100% function chance.... The improved drums are slated to be marked with a GT stamp to differentiate them from non improved units.... That's it for now, I have several customers drums undergoing the same up-grades as we speak! I am giving this project my very best effort, and hope to add some enjoyment to the possession of one of these drums! Maybe 100 years from now some future collector will look at one of the drums and wonder who was this GT guy? .... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT

Last edited by G.T.; 12-11-2015 at 08:30 PM.
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 12-06-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts
Thumbs up

GT has written a good update, and has done ALL of the heavy lifting on this work!

I've helped with testing, a couple ideas, but mostly moral support and encouragement.

Like so many reproductions, if the manufacturer had taken just a little more care during construction these Numrich drums would have worked pretty good out of the box.

As it is or was done, there are lots of little and several big things that have to be re-done. I'm pretty sure no one since 1918 knows the innards of a trommel mag and what makes it tick like GT.

I can report for sure, there isn't much more fun to be had(standing up) than a 32 round drum being fired from a luger without a glitch.

No wonder they wanted it in the trenches in WWII!

Just another thought, if anyone has a problematic or broken original drum, many can be repaired or make to work using the same techniques.
So if you have tried your original and found problems, don't despair - contact GT for an assessment of the problem, be sure to give a good description of the problem(s).
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 12-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
5card
User

Do you know if the drums Numrich is currently selling are the GT versions?
5card is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default drums

Hi 5card, I will make an announcement when they are available thru Numrich... should be within 30 to 60 days, as some of the work is outside labor, and parts manufacture? Plus they have to give me the go ahead... We are at their mercy of those who decide! Soon, I think.....til...lat'r.....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5card View Post
Do you know if the drums Numrich is currently selling are the GT versions?
Not as of 12-10-2015.

Only drums sent directly to GT have had his mods.

Numrich is still offering the original reproduction (unmodified)
drum/loader combo.