LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-24-2001, 12:38 PM   #1
Bob in AZ
User

Default To re-finish or not?

Hello All;

I'm somewhat new to this board and would like to hear your views on re-finishing the following Luger.

I don't have it in hand yet as it is still on hold with the gun shop. Its a Mauser 42, 1940 date, all matching except mag, fair bore, very little original finish left, grips are okay showing some wear. The real bummer is that the stock lug has been removed sometime ago along with the lanard ring. Because of this I would think the pistol is pretty much a "shooter" grade, yes?

I'm not sure if I want to re-finish it or just leave as is. What's your thoughts?

Bob

Unread 12-24-2001, 12:55 PM   #2
tom
User

Default Re: To re-finish or not?

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have a messy gun to deal with.

I guess my question is, Why would you buy the thing in the first place? If you want a shooter, there are loads of the Soviet capture pieces that sell at around $300 or so on the auction boards, and other than having that butt-ugly dip blue finish, they are OK and generally intact. Some are even matching.

But to address your question, since the piece you describe has zero collector value, I'd vote for a refinish....might even consider a parkerized finisg, depending upon what you plan to do with the beast.

My two cents.

Tom

Unread 12-24-2001, 01:08 PM   #3
Sid Gariss

Hi Bob,

It depends on what "you" want to do with it. Personally I would have it redone by Thor since it has already been altered and is a shooter. If it were original I would leave it as is. An example of Thor's work is the Luger of the month pictured on the home page. Click on the picture and take a look at some of the other pictures there. Good luck on the decision you make and have a happy holiday.

Sid.

Unread 12-24-2001, 01:33 PM   #4
Bob in AZ
User

This gun came with a pretty nice brown Luger holster and FXO mag, so thats why I went for it. Sometimes we just buy these things because they are there looking at us. Like a stray dog, I felt it needed a good home.

I do my own parkerizing and I actually was thinking of going this route. Glad you mention it Tom. I can add the lanard ring back on without to much trouble. The stock lug is another story. Probable give it a light bead blast before parkerizing. I hope I don't get the die-hard Luger fans skin crawling talking like this. I do have and can appreciate a fine original Luger finish.

I just like a "project" gun to play with now and then. Shortly after a found this mut. A near mint S/42 1939 came to me. Its Christmas time so I bought this one too....

Bob

Unread 12-24-2001, 01:59 PM   #5
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default re-finish or not?

If it has no finish...then just blue it without the usual polishing-grinding-etc. It can be stripped off and you are right back where you started, eh?

When someone asks me what a reblued gun is worth..I ask, how much would you give for one with zero finish? It may not have had ANY blue when they did it.

A shooter? I shot a P38, once!.....and, only because my buddy was giving me a hard time about owning so many and never shooting one!

I still use my .45 Colt for shooting. I think that 9mm is just another way to say .38 ! When I shoot something/someone, I want it/them to fall down! The 9x19 just does not do the job! I carried a .45 for years 'on the street' ..it is simple, ugly, heavy, only holds 8, but it $%#@# works!

Orv

Unread 12-24-2001, 02:07 PM   #6
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: re-finish or not?

I wouldn"t think a pistol with a bad bore would make much of a shooter unless you had the barrel relined.

Lonnie

Unread 12-24-2001, 03:21 PM   #7
Russ
User

the main thing is to enjoy the gun........

Unread 12-24-2001, 03:38 PM   #8
Bob in AZ
User

Yes, enjoy it I will. I'm sure I can make this diamond in the rough shine. And if the barrel doesn't shoot well. I might just have a 6 inch put on for something different.

Thanks for all the replies.

And a Luger Christmas to ALL!

Bob

Unread 12-24-2001, 07:23 PM   #9
BILL
User

Bob, you have a gun that you can do almost anything with and not lose out. You mention Parkerizing and a six inch barrel, those sound like excellent things to do. As for 'original' Luger finishes, there were phosphate finished Lugers from Portugal. Again, as so many others have said: "It's your Luger so do what you want with it." Have a nice Christmas.

Unread 12-26-2001, 10:30 AM   #10
Daniel
User

Sayyyy.... Tom,

The next time you see a "Soviet capture piece selling for around $300 or so " please drop me a E-mail, matching would be great also.