LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-20-2021, 11:34 PM   #21
Military Engineer
User

Hi All,

I will be taking the Luger for a test shoot Monday and if all is in order, will likely pick it up. I really hope he's right on the money with both matching mags. That will be awesome, even if it is a parts gun.

Mark
Military Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2021, 08:51 AM   #22
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hi Mark,

It's an East German rework, that is a different level than a 'parts gun'.

If the magazines are also East German. They should be marked with 2/1001 on the spine and marked 1 and 2 on the bottom, with the serial number.

Good luck.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 03-21-2021, 11:51 PM   #23
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
Hi Mark,

It's an East German rework, that is a different level than a 'parts gun'.

If the magazines are also East German. They should be marked with 2/1001 on the spine and marked 1 and 2 on the bottom, with the serial number.

Good luck.
Vlim,

Thanks much. I'll take all of that into consideration. What did you mean by a different level? Does that mean it a better or worse gun than a "parts gun"?

So IF:

---mags are marked as you describe,
---pistol shoots accurately and functions,
---it turns out to be a VoPo based on the visual inspect,

Would $1100 or so be a reasonable price based on condition you see in pics? If not, what would your experience suggest I counteroffer that is fair?

I've read several places "buy the gun, not the story" and I agree, so i thought I would ask what a fair price would be. I don't want to miss an opportunity, but I also don't want to shell out more than is reasonable.

Thanks for everything!
Mark
Unread 03-22-2021, 06:12 AM   #24
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hi,

I would value a Vopo above a 'shooter grade parts gun' and 1100 would not be unreasonable to me.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 03-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #25
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Here is what I think and the following opinion is what I would do and does not apply to anyone else so act accordingly.

I agree with Vlim ... a 'shooter grade parts gun' ... is a perfect description of this Vopo gun.
While many Luger aficionados find the 'Vopo' ugly its the history behind the gun that makes the Vopo collectable and important IMO.

There are distinct eras in German history marked by changes to the Luger's story.
Imperial Germany, the Weimar Republic, Nazi Germany and the East German Democratic Republic(Vopo era).

I think that $1100 dollars is not too high a price as I believe these guns will only increase in value.
I also believe that Luger's are better than money as money just sits there while a Luger gives you enjoyment every time you see or use it.

It is not as if you will have lost $xxxx dollars, the money is still there retrievable in an appreciating asset.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 03-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #26
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
Hi,

I would value a Vopo above a 'shooter grade parts gun' and 1100 would not be unreasonable to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spangy View Post
Here is what I think and the following opinion is what I would do and does not apply to anyone else so act accordingly.

I agree with Vlim ... a 'shooter grade parts gun' ... is a perfect description of this Vopo gun.
While many Luger aficionados find the 'Vopo' ugly its the history behind the gun that makes the Vopo collectable and important IMO.

There are distinct eras in German history marked by changes to the Luger's story.
Imperial Germany, the Weimar Republic, Nazi Germany and the East German Democratic Republic(Vopo era).

I think that $1100 dollars is not too high a price as I believe these guns will only increase in value.
I also believe that Luger's are better than money as money just sits there while a Luger gives you enjoyment every time you see or use it.

It is not as if you will have lost $xxxx dollars, the money is still there retrievable in an appreciating asset.
Appreciate all. So I took the plunge and bought it. Since I bought a second pistol (a Model 19 S&W), the Luger worked out to be about $1000. The date on the chamber is actually 1939, not 1938, so maybe that means something, maybe not as far as history and value.

The two mags have matching serials, although only one has the letter designator to match the pistol frame, ie "xxxx o (15th letter of the alphabet in cursive script)" on mag bottom. The other mag only has the matching 4 digit number. The numbers don't seem to be stamped by the same machine (the numbers are smaller on the matching mag then the other one) but one mag has the 2/1001 on the spine and the other (the one completely matching the gun) has "fxo" at the bottom of the mag body on the side.

Fired 4 x 2 rounds (checked it in 4 magazines including the originals) and it worked flawlessly. Other than the forward part of the toggle train and firing pin, the numberrs all appear to match, though sadly, I forgot to check the bottom of the barrel.

Thank you guys for all the advice. I just like to kbnow the history of little things like this when I buy them...mainly because it ads to the mystery of it all.

Mark
The following 4 members says Thank You to Military Engineer for your post:
Unread 03-23-2021, 12:36 AM   #27
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Well done Mark ... I very much doubt you will regret this.
There is something so addictive to the Luger ... the way it fits your hand ... the beauty and grace of the design ... you will enjoy this feeling for years to come.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #28
Military Engineer
User

Spangy,

I will. I have a 1918 Erfurt I got several years ago in partial trade and I love shooting it, so finding this will be a nice addition.

Of the 10-12 folks that work at the indoor range I go to all the time, I think only 3 or 4 even recognize it for what it is. The senior manager there does and he had to wrap it carefully and put it in the back of the safe because he didn't want the rest of the staffers getting too curious about it.

I remember the first time I shot it (the 1918) at the range. One of the RSOs was just staring at me, so I thought I was doing something wrong. I asked him if I was doing anything wrong, and he said no. He was just looking at the pistol. He also said it was the, and I quote: "...sexiest thing he'd seen on the range that week."

Another time, the 2nd A group I am with did a shoot with a group called the "Young Republicans" here in San Diego. It was called their "ATF" night. Each of us in the 2A group brought the most unique thing we had, and I had the Luger and a Vacquero. Guy came up behind me and pointed to one, so I picked up the Vacquero, and he said he was interested in the other one. I turned around, and the Yiddish accent was attached to a yarmulke. Can't make this stuff up.

I asked him if he was ok with it, for real, given the history of the yarmulke and the Luger, and he didn't miss a beat. He simply replied: "I know what it is. Getting to shoot that thing is my f*** you to them". I loaded up the mags and let him have his fun. Every year we do it, he asks me "if I brought it".

I love these pistols for the reasons you mention and more.
Mark
The following 4 members says Thank You to Military Engineer for your post:
Unread 03-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #29
Kiwi
User

When I picked up the Erma at my local FFL, the young woman (Girl to me but I am old) on the counter said it was the cutest gun she had seen
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote