LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 06-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Citizen C
New User

Default Wolff springs and Mec-Gar

Having recently aquired a 1970s Mauser Parabellum as a shooter and another one NIB as an investment, I discovered that the shooter's magazine had a worn spring.

With the NIB Luger's magazines, I could only load two rounds or so with my thumb pressing down on the follower button before I had to resort to the loading tool.

With the worn magazine, I could load 4 or 5 without the loading tool and I found that I would get jams with a freshly fed round standing straight up. A stovepipe. With the last round fired, the toggle would not lock open, fooling me into thinking I had another shot.

Obviously, the follower wasn't getting to where it needed to be in time.

So I ordered a Wolff "extra power" magazine spring. Swapping out the springs was very simple, except that the plastic magazine base, or floorplate, cracked into two pieces in the process. Superglue fixed that easily.

I went to a gunshow today looking to acquire another magazine for the Luger. I looked for originals, but didn't see any. Then there was the Triple K and Mec-Gar magazines. The Mec-Gar was listed as $36, but the guy let me have it for $30. I decided against the Triple K, as the magazine base was held in with roll pins rather than the solid pins of the Mec-Gar.

This was important because I could tell I was probably just buying a magazine body, follower, and floor plate. The spring was as easy to manipulate as the worn spring of my factory mag before the Wolff spring.

Well, long story short (too late), the original factory magazine with the new Wolff spring worked perfectly. The Mec-Gar, predictably, gave me the same problems as the factory mag did when it had the worn spring.

I'm pretty sure this can be corrected by installing a Wolff spring in it as well. Next time, I'll get the "triple pack" of Wolf Luger mag springs.

Now I'm wondering if it would have been better to just get the Triple K magazine and swap out or make new pins for the base and install a Wolff spring, as the Triple K was going for just $22.
Citizen C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 06:26 AM   #2
wworker
User

Mec-Gar magazines have an excellent reputation for form, fit and function, so I am wondering if your problem was elsewhere. Your old mag spring was weak, but perhaps there is some dirt in your Luger keeping the Mec-Gar spring from operating correctly too.
wworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Hugh
RIP

The newly made KKK magazines look like junk, but actually they work great, and I have had no problems with the rolled pins in the bottoms.
Unread 07-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Sieger
User

Default Interarms Mag Springs

Hi:

Here are my observations on the Interarms Parabellum magazine springs:

The 7.65mm and 9mm springs appear to be of different weight, the 9mm being much stronger.

A 9mm Interarms magazine is my most reliable magazine to date. I can fire hotter ammo with this magazine and still have perfect function with both my 1917 DWM and 1941 byf.

The Interarms magazine actually fits up snugly to the bottom of the pistol, the original magazines always sticking out about 1mm or so (looks sloppy .

You may want to get hold of the "Luger Doc", Tom Heller, and get yourself some original Interarms magazine replacement springs. I believe he still has some available.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote