LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-23-2002, 11:44 AM   #1
Scott Parkinson

Default Mint 1937 S/42 Luger with a single digit serial number

One of my favorite guns is my luger from 1937. It has a single digit serial number and is marked S/42. One of the magazines has a wooden bottom. It has the original holster with the officer's name engraved on the inside and his unit's initials (LAH - SS, yes I know what division that was!). It certainly looks like this holster has seen some considerable use, but the gun was well maintained.

All of the serial numbers match and the gun is in great condition. Can any of you tell me more about my gun and what it might be worth? Thank you very much.

Unread 03-23-2002, 12:18 PM   #2
Brandon Metcalf

Default Re: Mint 1937 S/42 Luger with a single digit serial number

WOW!! A mint 1937 S/42 That belonged to a soldier in the LAH-SS(Not to mention the 1 diget serial #). Do you have pictures? I have a 1937 S/42 with a mismatched Magazine and it wouldn't go mint. Anyway if you have pictures post them!! Congratulations on owning a Luger!!! ,Brandon

Unread 03-23-2002, 07:00 PM   #3
mlm

There are some technical details that would help to judge value. Actually, the serial number is a combination of number and letter but that is not so important if you can tell whether the trigger and safety lever are yellow (a "straw" colored yellow) or are blued like the rest of the pistol. The strawed parts pistols are worth some more than the all-blue pistols. The holster has a $150-250 value if it is not oiled, Pecard covered, saddle soaped, shoe polished, or has repairs (in other words, original condition). A small number of 1937's are exotic types but you probably don't have one of those. Value depends on degree of wear and originality of parts and finish.

If someone refinished it, value is around $400. If original finish and near new condition--$1400 for straw type, perhaps more with accessories.

Unread 03-23-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
mlm

The wood bottom mag predates 1929--not original to the pistol.

Unread 03-23-2002, 07:08 PM   #5
Brandon Metcalf

How can you tell if you have an "exotic" type?

Unread 03-23-2002, 08:06 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Thor has a list of later model Lugers which were salt-blued on the small parts, rather than strawed. It included the Mauser 42 and byf range, but was incomplete for later production. Is it posssible that this gun falls in the blued-parts category?

--Dwight