LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-03-2024, 10:50 AM   #1
velodog455~
User

Default Pierced Primers in WW2 P.08's?

In the Research Archives forum I was reading a really good thread about drilling a hole in the underside of the breechblock to provide a vent for gas in the event of a pierced primer. The system would not allow me to reply so I'm starting a new thread.

I understand the rationale of drilling a hole for WW1 and Weimar P.08's that had the earlier unfluted firing pins but my question is did the fluted firing pins solve the gassing problem or should I use an abundance of caution and drill the vent hole for my shooter grade '41 byf?

Hope this is not a dumb question but inquiring minds wanna know. Thanx for any and all assitance.

-Bob
velodog455~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2024, 01:23 PM   #2
LU1900
User

Hello
No the fluted firing pins don't solve the gassing problem , it is ony for shot residue which could block the percussion
If drilling the striker behaves like a piston which wants to come out of its housing
/
Hope it's clear with google trads
Unread 02-05-2024, 08:23 AM   #3
Kiwi
User

I think drilling a hole in your Luger would be a major mistake.
Might want to rethink that and just stick with 115g White box ammo

I use PPU which has not caused a problem (yet) in my 1913 DMW
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Kiwi for your post:
Unread 02-06-2024, 09:27 AM   #4
velodog455~
User

I have been experimenting with reduced powder charges. WWB ammo uses a charge of powder that is very similar to WW231 powder. Load data for a 115 grain bullet ahead of 4.9 grains of WW231 SHOULD be very similar to a factory WWB load.

4.7 grains functions MY P.08's and P.38's just fine. By "function" I mean that I load one round into the magazine, verify that the round feeds, shoot and see if the round is potent enough to activate the hold-open. If it holds open then it should have enough oomph to pick up and feed subsequent rounds.

I'm moving next to 4.3 grains and if that works OK I think I'm going settle on it for all of my old 9mm's, but it's primarily for P.08 and P.38 shooter grade pistols.

If this works I'm not going to worry too much about a pierced primer as the pressures should be fairly close to the 18,000-20,000 PSI range. Basically if it's too weak to hold the toggle open it's too weak to be reliable, IMHO, and I'll have to move up to maybe 4.5 grains of powder.

This all requires quite a bit of testing. I am just mentioning it in case others are going down the same path.

-Bob
The following 3 members says Thank You to velodog455~ for your post:
Unread 02-06-2024, 12:45 PM   #5
Deputywood
User

I would check the firing pin tip for signs of damage from gas erosion. They can be damaged from just one pierced primer. If it is damaged, it will tend to continue to pierce primers. In some of my other firearms, a simple stoning of the tip to remove the damage solves the issue. In lugers, most firing pins are numbered to the weapon. Stoning can shorten the tip enough that it will no longer function. I would replace the pin when firing.
Deputywood is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Deputywood for your post:
Unread 02-07-2024, 08:19 AM   #6
velodog455~
User

Thanks, Deputywood. I have not yet experienced a pierced primer; just trying to avoid one since P.08 parts are both scarce and expensive.
-Bob
Unread 02-07-2024, 09:12 AM   #7
Kiwi
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodog455~ View Post
I have been experimenting with reduced powder charges. (snip)

By "function" I mean that I load one round into the magazine, verify that the round feeds, shoot and see if the round is potent enough to activate the hold-open. If it holds open then it should have enough oomph to pick up and feed subsequent rounds.
(snip)

I'm moving next to 4.3 grains and if that works OK I think I'm going settle on it for all of my old 9mm's, but it's primarily for P.08 and P.38 shooter grade pistols.

This all requires quite a bit of testing. I am just mentioning it in case others are going down the same path.

-Bob
Bob - standard reloading ladder is to start at minimum and work up,
but in addition to function check group size by bench firing several rounds and measure group size.

The spin imparted by rifling works like a kids top. A tight spin goes straight. a soft spin (low load) wanders. OTOH too much powder causes the projectile to skid over the lands and also lousy group.
Reloaders look for that sweet spot in the middle

Viele glúck
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2024, 09:59 AM   #8
velodog455~
User

I am starting at minimum.