LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
RAY1946
User

Default Recutting lead in Interarms Luger

I have 2 Lugers. Both are the Interarms variety. One is 7.65 and the other is 9, and they both have 6" barrels. I would like to have the lead in the 9mm pistol recut to make it more friendly with cast bullets. The lead in the 7.65 is "perfect" and goes slightly over groove diameter for about 7 to 8mm in front of the chamber.

On the other hand, the lead in the 9mm barrel is NON-EXISTANT. The lead that is there is so shallow as to be useless. I really like the lead in my Walther. It is long and very gradual and reminds me of my 96/11 Schmidt-Rubin. The 9mm pistol shoots jacketed quite well, but I want to make it usable with cast bullets.

Would this recutting require barrel removal from the recieval? Are there any brave, experienced machinests out there willing to tackle this?.............................Thanks
RAY1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY1946 View Post
I have 2 Lugers. Both are the Interarms variety. One is 7.65 and the other is 9, and they both have 6" barrels. I would like to have the lead in the 9mm pistol recut to make it more friendly with cast bullets. The lead in the 7.65 is "perfect" and goes slightly over groove diameter for about 7 to 8mm in front of the chamber.

On the other hand, the lead in the 9mm barrel is NON-EXISTANT. The lead that is there is so shallow as to be useless. I really like the lead in my Walther. It is long and very gradual and reminds me of my 96/11 Schmidt-Rubin. The 9mm pistol shoots jacketed quite well, but I want to make it usable with cast bullets.

Would this recutting require barrel removal from the recieval? Are there any brave, experienced machinests out there willing to tackle this?.............................Thanks
Hi,

Cast, at .356, shoots just fine, in fact, perfectly, out of my "original" Lugers. How do their leads compare to your Interarms Lugers?

Also, won't a cast bullet, of the same configuration as your FMJ ones, shoot just fine from your current lead?

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:01 AM   #3
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY1946 View Post

Hi,

I have just the tool you need!

This commercial tool was designed to cut a "throat" (only) in a 9mm's barrel. I had to use it once, because the folks at Stoeger, in the 1920s, had forgotten to cut any throat at all in a "long barrel" Luger of theirs I had years ago.

If you can wait until I go to my Florida home, this coming April, I'll be happy to sell it to you for whatever I paid 20 years ago (I should still have the invoice from Brownells).

If you can't wait, simply call them and have them assemble a new one for you.

Good luck with your project, though I still think I could get your Interarms Parabellum to shoot cast just fine, as is.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Have you tried using different profile lead bullets? There are many different 9mm cast lead bullets available for sale. Are you casting your own bullets? I would look around a see if I could find a bullet that will work rather than changing the leade in your bbl. Just a thought.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote