LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-09-2003, 01:20 PM   #1
Brew_Ha_Ha
User

Post Will Not Dry Fire.

I was cleaning my Luger, not majorily cleaning it either. Just giving it a good rubbing with oil and swabbing out the barrel. Well I cocked the gun, then preceded to dry fire it. There was no sound from the firing pin, yet on occasions when I dry fired the weapon the firing pin would "fire" and make that unmistakable click. My Luger does not do that any more. I have not shot a round through it since so I don't know if it will fire when it is loaded. A fear the worst, it is broken.
Unread 06-09-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Break it down and look at it, if its the firing pin replacements are available, possible that it may be stuck in the bolt face, could also be in the side plate. And this will sound dumb, but is the safety on or off?

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
Thor
User

The disconnector may not have reset, if you give it a good tap with your hand, a lot of times they will reset or just let the action slam close again. Dry firing is NOT a good idea, many firing pins have been broken this way. If you want to dry fire it, get some snap caps from Brownells or other gun shops. ALWAYS lower the action close when you are storing the gun, gently releasing the pin without dry firing, that way the firing pin is protected and the firing pin spring is relaxed when the gun is stored.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #4
Brew_Ha_Ha
User

Ok. I took the Luger apart, slid the top off, and off came the sideplate and two other parts. I put the sideplate back toghether, slid the top back on, put the sideplate back in its respective place. Moved the takedown lever in the up position but now the gun has too much "play" back and forth and the toggle opens up with gentle force when moved backwards. This used to not happen. This Luger has never been so stubbern to get back on, any help will be greatly valued.
Unread 06-09-2003, 08:26 PM   #5
Heinz
User

Brew, Take a look at the blow up picture of the Luger in the technical section. You may have the trigger lever pin with the offset turned in the wrong direction. I believe it goes up (But I am not positive and my Luger ain't in reach at the moment.

heinz
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
MG
User

Hello Brew_Ha_Ha,
Take the Luger apart and slide the cannon (barrel and toggle) off frame and look at back of toggle.
You will see the Coupling Link (S shape bar hanging down), this has to connect to the Recoil Lever.If you look down inside the frame at the back you will see what looks like a pair of hooks,
when you put the cannon back on the frame make sure you get the link to hook on the recoil lever(hooks)or the top will move freely. I turn the barrel upside down push the link up with the curve up at the very back of the toggle and slide the top on till it is over the hooks or just past the magazine well. I then turn the gun over and slide the top back and forth a little till it connects.(it will drop down when you slide barrel forward). Finish putting the Luger back together then **** the gun to see if it will ****.

Ok, as you will hear NEVER dry fire a Luger it will ruin you investment(broken parts ETC.). Also never try to **** or dismantle the gun with the safety on as this to will damage the gun also.

Hope this helps

Michael
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2003, 10:26 PM   #7
Brew_Ha_Ha
User

MG, thank you so much it is finally put back toghether and is resting in a tight spot and is well oiled. Thank you, thank you. I don't know why but on privous time when I took the Luger apart, it was a breeze to put back in.
Unread 06-10-2003, 09:12 PM   #8
MG
User

Hello Brew_Ha_Ha
I had the same problem the frist time I took my Luger apart. But after doing it "Billions and Billions" of times(just kidding) it became second nature. Glad I was able to help and do not be afraid to dismantle your Luger for cleaning again.
By the way, what kind of Luger do you have if I may ask? My frist was/is a 42BYF mostly matching (all but three small parts) and I shoot Walmart 9mm 100 round pack. Shoots 1.3" groups if I do my part.

Michael

P.S.
Do not over oil the your Luger it may cause problems. IE. jams, misfires,(at lease mine will do this) a light amount on rails and good wipe down on outside should do.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2003, 09:38 PM   #9
Brew_Ha_Ha
User

I have a 1914 Commercial/Army Luger which is quiet rare as forum experts tell me. Bought it as a shooter, East German Rework with all matching numbers inside and out except for 2minor parts. I also shoot the Walmart 9mm 115 grain, best stuff I have shot through it. Never buy Wolf 9mm, worst ammo ever it leaves pollen like particules everywhere. Thanks for the tip about not over oiling. I have an Enfield that loves a good coat of oil, I figured all war weapons do, the same goes for my M1 carbine.