LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-17-2002, 08:18 PM   #1
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Post East German Reworks

Colleagues,

FYI, www.brocksguns.com (scroll down to East German Lugers). Prices and descriptions suggest that these are being offered not so much as shooters but more as collector guns. Are East German reworks such as these going to eventually acquire the status of collector pieces like Weimar reworks? Are these prices warrented? Several of these guns interest me, they just seem a few hundred too high. What markings (such as E. German sunburst) would be desirable to the future collector? In other words, how do you prove it's an E. German rework and not just a mismatched gun with renumbered parts and a cheap re-blue? [img]confused.gif[/img] KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2002, 09:43 PM   #2
Skookum
User

I studied the discriptions of these pieces very carefully when they first became available from Brocks and came to the conclusion that they are richly valued by the seller. I believe that given the number of pieces left unsold, that conclusion has been born out by the fact that there have been few takers at current prices.
Skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2002, 11:02 PM   #3
TheRomanhistorian
User

I think eventually all Lugers (pre-Stoeger/AIMCO/Mitchell of course) will be 'collectors' items,in the sense we are familiar with, one day. But the East German reworks just didn't seem all that exciting to me honestly. I felt they were more like shooters than collectables. That said I would not mind adding a few of them to my current P-08 collection (Which consists right now of 1 shooter.) But those prices are kind of steep and since they haven't sold yet I'm guessing they're not quite 'collectable' yet?

Anyway, I think I had a point in there but I may have lost it. This summer vacation thing is destroying my brain, must get back to school and homework! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Michael Ng

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 12:32 PM   #4
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
It's my opinion that the East German re-works being offered at this time are terribly over-priced. There's a gun store near me with two that are priced at $600 each and I saw a Shotgun News ad for them recently at $799!!! In contrast, an all-matching 1918 DWM in excellent condition with holster and tool went for $750 at auction here last weekend.

I've owned several E. German re-works and presently own two. One is a complete mismatch and is my shooter. The other is a 1917 Erfurt with all matching numbers except for the side plate. The grips and grip screws are also replacements. The two matching numbered mags are not original to the gun but it's pretty representative of the E. German pistols.

Again, in my opinion, the East German re-works will eventually become collector pieces in their own right. They'll never command the prices brought by original matching guns but their value will increase. After all, they are as much a part of Luger history as the post-WW1 re-works that seem to have a following today.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 04:28 PM   #5
MarkC
User

I was lucky and got a copy of the list before it became posted on their website and had first pick. I paid about a grand for an all matching 2nd variation K date that Thor is doing over for me. Also got a real nice matching, 41/42 date from them as well. I sent the "black widow" back when I saw it had a commercially proofed barrel. Overall the good stuff went first and now the junk is left.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 04:49 PM   #6
Thor
User

Thumbs up

I got a nice First Variation K date as Mark was nice enough to include me in "first pickins" These are dipped reblued already! I am restoring mine just for my collection.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 04:51 PM   #7
wterrell
User

MarkC,
Why would you take a matching Luger and then have the original finish taken off? Or, as I understand Thor, is the finish not original?
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2002, 09:26 PM   #8
Thor
User

Mine was not the original finish and as you can see they not only dipped blued (cold blue) the gun but the small parts as well.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 06:36 AM   #9
Marvin
User

When I was in Florida last year on assignment, I found a nice E. German "K" Date for $650. It was all matching, except for the barrel which was a new E. German made and proofed one. Overall, the pistol is in excellent condition and the bluing is not the dip blue, but a decent hot salt blue.

I talked with Ted about having it restored, but decided that MAYBE, these may be a collectible in thier own right one of these days and decided not to do anything to it. I feel they are a distinct variation since the work was done by a Government authority. This rework is similar to the statement in a thread above about the Weimar Era reworks being a variation. The E/ German reworks will probably never have the value of an original of course, but they are still neat pistols.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 12:49 PM   #10
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
One thing to look for on E. German reworked Lugers is a barrel/chamber reline sleeve. Without exception, the dozen or so E. German reworks I've examined have had a relined barrel that included about 1/2 of the chamber. A close look into the chamber will show the line where the liner meets the remaining original barrel chamber. A close look at the muzzle will also show the concentric circle where the liner meets the barrel. The work on all I've seen has been well done and easy to miss unless you're looking for it.

I clearly won't claim that ALL E. German reworked pistols will have the liner but the ones I've had in hand have had them. Some of the barrels will undoubtedly be completely original and some will have new barrels but relining seems to have been common practice.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2002, 04:16 AM   #11
Bud
User

Oh yeah, those Eastern arsenals sure did a "good" job reworking my 1937 luger. What with all those new and shiny parts put on it, likely from some master armorors's kit or such. And after all the rebuilding process, they left the bore absolutely shot out, AND corroded out as well(I should have photographed it prior to it "real" rebuild). Oh well, I relieved it from some guy for only $375 shipped, and it gave me the opportunity to have it rebuilt into a six inch barreled shooter. Actually, the rebarreled action was done at High Clarks' and it will be arriving in several days.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2002, 09:03 AM   #12
JuergenG
User

Bud,
I'm not so sure that your gun left from Suhl in the condition you describe.
All East German reworks I've seen so far were in very good condition. Besides being reblued most all had been re-barreled. Folks here love them as shooters as they represent the lower edge of the price range.
Juergen
JuergenG is offline   Reply With Quote