LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-19-2002, 03:57 PM   #1
starkel
New User

Post My fathers lugers

I would like to find out what they are worth.
He was a collector but I am not so I would like to know the best way to find out what they are worth.
#1 Luger, 1920 DMW-Erfurt Mfg. 7.65 mm, 3 3/4 barrel, gold trim and holster SN # 9636

#2 Luger 1936 S/42-G mfg. 7.65mm 3 7/8 barrel SN 2504
#3 1918 Erfurt mfg. 9mm 3 7?8 barrel and 3 clips SN #194918

mailto:starkel@ma.ultranet.comstarkel@ma.ultranet.com</a>
starkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2002, 04:07 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Red face

Hello Starkel,

If you can go to www.lugerforum.com and click on tech information, there are identification sheets that can help ID the Lugerâ??s much easier.

They are at http://www.lugerforum.com/IDsheets.html and if you print them out, you can fill in the information, additional information such as bluing still on the gun, markings, acceptance and proofing, all make a big difference.

The main thing is whether the guns are actually matching. All the numbers must match, not including the magazine, but including such things as barrel, side plate, frame, bolt, toggle and several others. If they do not match or the bluing has been tampered with (re-bluing, nickeled, large scratches, etc.), then the value drops dramatically into what is many times called a shooter grade pistol, one that people don't mind shooting or using.

Non-collector grade Lugerâ??s usually are worth around $450 - $600 each, depending on many factors, where you live, how much Bob will pay, condition for appearances, etc.

I hope that helps a little?
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2002, 04:20 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Welcome to the Lugerforum Starkel... Luger newcomers are always welcome here.

As Ed Tinker says above... the more information you have about your pistols, the more you will be able to find out about them... including their approximate current market value.

Photographs of your guns would be very helpful to the member os this forum that would help you on determining exactly what you have and what it is worth. If you have digital photo or scanner capability, you can post the photographs here on the forum to aid in your quest for information.

regarding serial numbers... there will be in most cases a small script letter on the front of the pistol frame under the serial number. This letter is the series that the pistol was produced and is an integral part of the serial number.

Example: If your Luger is serial number 1234 b then it is the second (or third) Luger that was serial number 1234 in it's production series depoending on whether or not the first one had a suffix letter. So there can be MANY Lugers with the serial number of 1234 and the suffix letter is how they are distinguished from one another.

I hope that explanation helped you understand the signifigance of the suffix letter to the serial number...

Gather your markings information (and photographs if you can) and post them here and one of the members with expertise in the area of your Lugers will likely have the answers you need.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2002, 04:43 PM   #4
starkel
New User

Thank you I will get more information off them and a digital picture
Unread 06-19-2002, 09:17 PM   #5
Roadkill
User

Could there have been a 1936 G S42 in 7.65?

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 10:38 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Very good observation RK. Perhaps this is a parts pistol with a .30 cal barrel installed in a "G" reeiver... that is why I am curious about the other marks and the photo when available...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2002, 11:04 AM   #7
starkel
New User

I think my mother is going to auction them off along with contents of a house she is selling. There is other 3ed Reich and guns that will be sold at the auction. About start of August
Unread 06-20-2002, 11:33 AM   #8
Roadkill
User

Its your business, but as far as the guns go you would do much better placing them for sale in the classified section here than at an auction.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2002, 07:49 PM   #9
MarkC
User

Starkel,

If you live close to Bean town, send me an e mail and I will come out and see the collection. I am a good source for looking at the guns and telling you what you have. Some of the guns with documentation and in MA pre '98 can be worth more of a premium because of Harshbarger's rules in '98. (sorry guys, it is were we live in, in the state that started the Revolution ! What the heck are the events around Patriots Day, which is a state holiday ??? Not a question, an event, no kiddin')

E mail me at MarkC@aeispeakers.com or my new address (please do not go there because it is under construction) Mark@p38guns.com

Yes, I have a great collection of P38's [img]smile.gif[/img] Although I have some rally cool Lugers too [img]smile.gif[/img]

MarkC
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2002, 10:04 AM   #10
starkel
New User

All will be going to Auction in NH about Aug 3 I can let you know more information when I have it
AL